Posted Jan 25, 2013
1:35:54 PM
Is it true they are doing away with SIM cards you insert into GSM cell phones?
Edited by azurecrimsonrose on Jan 25, 2013 at 1:36:55 PM

I was talking with a techology buff friend of mine and he was telling me how they are starting to do away with the SIM card you insert into a GSM phone and now just having them come installed in the device instead, like what Verizon Wireless and Sprint are doing with their "global" devices.  Is AT&T going to do this as well?  

Is it true they are doing away with SIM cards you insert into GSM cell phones?

[ Edited ]
14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 9:10:18 PM
(0)
Professor
Never going to happen. SIm cards are a Key to make the device active. For Verizon & Sprint, if the phones do not work in Europe, you can rent a phone for use in those countries.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Re: Is it true they are doing away with SIM cards you insert into GSM cell phones?

2 of 15 (2,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2013 9:50:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well, I just heard about this somewhere and was wondering it hat was going to happen or not.  I am glad to hear that it's not becuase I prefer the GSM phones over CDMA.  

Re: Is it true they are doing away with SIM cards you insert into GSM cell phones?

3 of 15 (2,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2013 11:00:03 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by jii on Jan 26, 2013 at 11:01:00 AM

gregzoll_1 wrote:
Never going to happen. SIm cards are a Key to make the device active. For Verizon & Sprint, if the phones do not work in Europe, you can rent a phone for use in those countries.

Not too sure about the "never" part, as Apple filed a patent for virtual SIM tech either last year or late in 2011. That said, with current phones being able to operate fully in a WiFi environment (even providing simultaneous voice and data transmission) thus bypassing the SIM on top of how everything from system settings and downloaded app lists to contact and wallet info can now be stored on a cloud, I don't see why we couldn't so SIM free with our GSMs sometime in the future.

[ Edited ]
4 of 15 (2,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2013 10:40:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

That is very interesting.  I wonder if this is going to happen in the future with the way cell phones are nowadays.

5 of 15 (1,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2013 7:42:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
I heard this rumor also, but SIM cards are provisional & security fundamental... Without it, one could go back to "cloning" phones like in the 80's and 90's...

6 of 15 (1,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 1:22:35 PM
(0)
Mentor
AT&T employees are actually not allowed to discuss or comment on rumors, so you wont ever know until it actually happens. :smileytongue:

7 of 15 (1,722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2013 8:47:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

"Cloning" a phone?  I have never heard of this.  What is it?

8 of 15 (1,571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2013 10:54:14 AM
(0)
Mentor
My issue is sim cards die, so you build it in, your phone dies.

9 of 15 (1,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 10:23:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

Hmmmm...  I have never had a problem with a SIM card "dying".  

10 of 15 (1,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 3:21:40 PM
(0)
Professor

christopher_britt wrote:
I heard this rumor also, but SIM cards are provisional & security fundamental... Without it, one could go back to "cloning" phones like in the 80's and 90's..

Cloning phones is still very much possible now, and not just a thing of the "80s and 90s" like you say. Just a heads up.

11 of 15 (1,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 5:44:32 AM
(0)
Master
I would hope not, as it would make it more difficult for people to switch phones on a regular basis. Sprint & VZW mainly use the IMEI of the phone itself, and you would need to either contact cs or go to their web site to switch to another phone instead of simply moving the sim card to another phone. This is one of the advantages of using a GSM carrier.

12 of 15 (1,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 11:08:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

When you say "the SIM already build in" you have to elaborate. Sprint, and Verizon have SIMs so they can access 4G LTE speeds. That 4G LTE SIM is different than the SIM that acts as the phones "brain". With newer phones Verizon has begun to have the SIM "pre-installed" like Sprint( if that's what you were meaning in the first place). I don't see the SIM(brain) in GSM phones going away anytime soon, BUT with the way technology is, I'm pretty sure we can look forward to something in the near future.

13 of 15 (444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2014 6:49:33 PM
(0)
Traveler
Very Interesting, something to keep on the radar!!!!

14 of 15 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2014 1:14:29 AM
(0)
Mentor

I wish this wasnt going to happen.  ATNT made my visual voicemail stop working (after it had worked fine for the first couple weeks, and when i told them about it they said it wont work with my type of phone), and also my offline music subscription. Now I got the music working fine by removing my sym card. But my phone wasnt a phone anymore.  Then I was forced to wipe my phone bc it insisted I had the password wrong, very funny thing is, now both the offline music and the visual voicemail are working, with the sym card in the phone.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I have had too many weird things happen with ATNT to really believe that.  Visual voicemail is really nice, I used to fail to see when I had a new voicemail.  I really want to keep my symcards removeable.  (I am not blaming atnt for the password messup, it was a blessing to be forced to wipe the phone after all, it could have been just me on that one !)

15 of 15 (138 Views)