For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
smmonfee's profile

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

Saturday, October 25th, 2008 3:35 AM

Closed

If a SIM card dies should we give it a funeral???

My daughter's phone kept giving her the message "SIM card not registered".  When she called CC she was told the card was "dying" and to go to a local store and pick up a new one. So......

1.  How does a SIM card die and why does it die? (my sim card it the same age and it seems very healthy)

2.  When it dies do you lose all your contacts? Hers goes thru periods of showing the message and then it will start working and work for hours before giving the message again. My thinking is she needs to go ahead and save her contacts to her phone, Yes?

Anyway, I called today and they are overnighting a card to us, because the lady said the local store would try to charge for the card and she would overnight one at no charge. I will be very interested to see if FedEx actually does deliver on Saturday. I live in Memphis, home of FedEx, and don't recall ever seeing them deliver on Saturday.  Will let you know.

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

16 years ago

Well the "overnighted" sim card arrived today. Was installed in phone and works nicely.  At least it was working while we waited but she is not having her problems receiving texts and pictures anymore.

So I guess the sim card was the problem. Smiley Happy

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

16 years ago

@smmonfee wrote:
My daughter's phone kept giving her the message "SIM card not registered".  When she called CC she was told the card was "dying" and to go to a local store and pick up a new one. So......

1.  How does a SIM card die and why does it die? (my sim card it the same age and it seems very healthy)

2.  When it dies do you lose all your contacts? Hers goes thru periods of showing the message and then it will start working and work for hours before giving the message again. My thinking is she needs to go ahead and save her contacts to her phone, Yes?

Anyway, I called today and they are overnighting a card to us, because the lady said the local store would try to charge for the card and she would overnight one at no charge. I will be very interested to see if FedEx actually does deliver on Saturday. I live in Memphis, home of FedEx, and don't recall ever seeing them deliver on Saturday.  Will let you know.

1. Like all electronics, they degrade overtime. Remove it from the phone too many times and you can also wear away the contacts.

2.  You only loose your contacts if they are only saved on the SIM.  If stored on the phone no problem.  If they are stored on the SIM, and you can get the phone to work with the old SIM before activating the new one, copy the contacts to the phone.  Activate the new SIM and you can copy them back if you would like.  I personally do not keep anything on my SIM and rely on syncing to a PC.  This has worked for me with Nokia's, Motorola's, a very old Siemens GAIT phone and now the iPhone.

Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

16 years ago

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

16 years ago

Guru

• 

847 Messages

16 years ago

Fedex DOES deliver on Saturdays, but it's an option even ABOVE overnight shipping, and from what I've heard they charge an arm and a leg for it.  As such I doubt AT&T would use that method to ship you a sim card.

smmonfee wrote:

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

16 years ago

As I suspected, the SIM card did not arrive today. Tracking says it should arrive before 3pm on Monday. Smiley Mad

Oh, well, the phone is still working for now.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

16 years ago

Yeah, AT&T needs to pay for Priority Overnight or 2-Day with Saturday Delivery in order for it to get you on Saturday's. AT&T accidentally screwed up the Airbill for my Tilt and gave me 2-Day w/o Saturday Shipping and sent it out on a Thursday. I called Customer Care and they paid $26 to upgrade to Priority Overnight for me but sadly Fedex already packaged my box for the Monday flight to Los Angeles. That weekend was so nerve-wrecking i was dying for my new Tilt! Anyways, AT&T never does Priority Overnight, they usually just go with Standard or 2-Day and ground (with warranty exchange). Oh you can send the old SIM card to me for a good over-the-hill ceremony, i'll cremate it with all my other deactivated sim cards!

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

16 years ago

smmonfee wrote:

smmonfee.....Thanks for the chuckle!!! I NEEDED that today!!!! Smiley Very Happy My SIM card is very healthy too, BTW!!!! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.