For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
domino66's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, October 20th, 2014 4:12 PM

AT&T 3G Network: basically unusable speeds?

I have a brand new unlocked Moto G dual-SIM phone. Downside is that it's not 4G, which I knew going in, but I thought that 3G speeds would be still acceptable.

However, my data speeds are so slow that my browser is basically unusable, and forget about trying to use it as a mobile hotspot: Speedtest is showing 0.21 Down / 0.09 Up.

I've taken this into 2 other providers' (T-Mobile in the US, and Rogers in Canada)...popped in one of their SIM cards, and got speeds of what I was expecting out of 3G: 7-8 Down / 3-4 Up.  So it seems like this is an issue with AT&T, but no other provider.

I took it into an AT&T store, and they told me to try a different SIM card (he gave me one he said was a newer model, or more likely to be compatible or something), but got the exact same slow speeds.

QUESTIONS

- Even accepting that my phone isn't 4G, I should be getting faster than the pitiful speeds I'm seeing, right?

- Are there any SETTINGS or anything to change on my phone? I walked through all of the APN stuff with a phone rep who confirmed that everything was as it should be...

- Is it just the case that AT&T's 3G network (I'm in NYC...) is terrible compared to competitors? 

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Bump. Sweet customer support, AT&T.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

They may be throttling your service. They are pretty much doing that with anyone on an unlimited plan.
You basically reach 2gb and they slow your speeds down for no reason. that has been happening to me for more than a year..

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

First off, this forum is designed for user to user support, not AT&T customer or technical support (you can phone them, or use their web interface for those).

Next off, if your device does not support the correct 3G GSM bands, then it will not work with the AT&T 3G network.  Most international phones use the international bands, and not the ones that AT&T uses for their domestic service in the US.  This could be a major part of your problem.

The next thing may be the configuration of your account at AT&T.  Since you bought the phone from another source, you may need to call *611 from your cell phone and have them update your account to show the correct smartphoen type.  If it is wrong, your cellular data might not even work at all, and it could very easily not work to the fullest extent.  I would start with those two items first and go from there.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.