For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
utvols2005's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, January 16th, 2015 3:01 PM

local weather location on homepage keeps changing

Dear Sir,

My question is why my local weather location on my att homepage keeps changing? I live in Jackson, Tn. and it keeps changing to Richardson, Tx. which is a very long way from Jackson. I keep putting my location in and it shows being saved, but if the computer is shut down for some reason and sometimes even after log off it changes back to Richardson, Tx. (which has happened the last two days after logging offf at night.

I have tried contacting Yahoo, but you can't get in touch with them by email. All you can do is put your issue on the feedback form and never get a response.

Recently another person on one of the community blogs sent me a reply that he was having the identical issue (getting Richardson,Tx. and he lived in Miss.

Tommy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

506 Messages

9 years ago

My wife complained about the same thing and I don't know why Richardson TX. is the place that's so lucky. 

My home page did it as well. 

This is how I fixed it: you can go to your "set location" only to find it returns to Richardson TX.! Without going into the main page on your set location go to the little light bulb icon on the upper right of the window window click it, enter your zip code, then hit the steering wheel looking icon to the right of the zip code entry.

That should do it, if not, rinse and repeat. It will work. Took a couple of times for me. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

9 years ago

Great topic guys! I couldn't personally find a light bulb, but something else worked for me (unless I'm looking at the same icon), I clicked here:

1.JPG

Then I selected "Manage Locations" and "Detect My Location" and saved. It saved my location and now it displays it properly. I was also logged in to my email when I changed it. My guess is that by default it resets to your closest server, for me it was NJ, all good now.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Information like adress location, and so on, are typicaly saved in a data file called a cookie.

It is also part of, and associated with temporary files. (it is also called a cache file)

If you use a temp file cleaning program like I do, it will often also clear out your cookies as part of the process, unless you set it up as an exception to leave that particular cookie alone.

(they usualy are referanced with a location name like  att.yahoo.net, etc. I picked that as only an example of a name. the actual tag could be completely differant)

Another idea is that while you might be changing it to your local area, you may not be saving it, so once you exit the program, it reverts to whatever the set default is.

To be fair with AT&T, what you are experiancing is a quirk of your browser, not their web site. There is really nothing for them that they can "fix" as they do not have any control over your programs temp files, and cookies.

And of course, how to deal with it depends on the browser you are using, as each is differant. You can look thru their help files for stuff like that. What you describe is actualy pretty common, and just as easy to resolve.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

OH, one other quirk I just remembered.. If you are not logged in to your att-yahoo account, the att website does an auto detect based on where your isp's main hub is.

In my case, I live in a small town out in the country, but my isp's main hub is based in a city almost fourty miles away. so, that could also be why it does not recognize where you actualy are, verses what it guesses you are. Until I log in, it assumes I'm in that city, until I log in, and the default I set to my town is shown.

Good luck.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

whenever I search & select a result that includes "near me", the software thinks I am in Huntington Park CA. Same with the homepage weather. I live in Oxford MI. I change the location on homepage weather to my current location & the location will always default to the CA location after I exit the weather. Can this be fixed?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.