For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
jalbof16's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, October 19th, 2014 6:05 PM

Frustrating system

I have the whole AT&T package, voice/internet/tv/mobile/Digital Life. Mobile - no problems. Digital Life - not integrated as seamlessly as you would think with the internet service, in fact the internet service guys don't even know what the alarm components are or what they do and vice versa. TV - not sure since it comes in on the deteriorating internet. Internet - failing. Worked well for about a year but couldn't change any settings because the "help" page dor the modem/router told me the default password was on the bottom of the router. Rebooted everything multiple times, had a new wireless tv receiver sent out but no luck. Finally internet became very inconsistent. Chatted with "support". Useless except for making a service appt. Just found out yesterday through a service tech that the password was really on the backup battery box in the closet! Next, the service tech tried to update the modem to fix an inconsistent connection. Poor guy was at the mercy of both bad refurbished hardware and poor/slow support getting "flow" because of the new box. So, after a 4-8 pm Sat afternoon appt that left me with nothing working, I expected a Sunday morning appt to fix everything. No such luck...another 4-8 pm appt. Now I'm trying to decide if I've gone with the wrong provider for all my interconnected services. The service techs seem to try their best with little support from tech or scheduling/management support. I bet Mr. Stephenson doesn't have these problems with his services!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@jalbof16 If the problem is wireless internet, see SomeJoe's great wireless interference thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Also see the SJ post:

Please Read for a Potential Solution

For many people, the DHCP problems with the 2Wire routers can be solved by configuring the RG as follows:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 which is the RG's wireless configuration page.

2. Change the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.

3. Change the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).

4. Click the "Save" button at the bottom.

5. This procedure may ask for your RG's password. The default password for your RG is printed on a white sticker on the side of the RG (3600HGV, 3800HGV-B, and 3801HGV) or on a white sticker on the backup battery (i3812V).

Disabling WPS should help with the DHCP timeout issue and general wireless connection problems.

Setting authentication specifically to WPA2-PSK/AES improves connection reliability on Macs and other Apple products.  Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks mibrnsurg, to my point - the customer service "chat support" never suggested that the modem password could have been on the backup battery case (and all the "help" pages point to the sticker on tge modem) nor did the guy on the chat yesterday morning suggest the WPS change. Neither was the tech aware of that. But the download speeds, even on the wired connection on my PC, were not consistent. Not sure there is much training involved but either a checklist or tribal knowledge. Now I have a new modem but a red service light. Not fixed yet. But my old antenna I found in the box is working as well as the Uverse TV was working...or maybe better.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Finally after a 3rd new modem was installed they got the system"flow" working. After that it's been working significantly better for a day and a half. I still think training and mgmt support is lacking. Probably more worried about new accounts.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.