For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Anthony_1's profile

Mentor

• 

77 Messages

Sunday, November 7th, 2010 5:02 PM

Free HDTV

Now that DISH Network is offering HDTV for free when will Att-U-Verse follow before it starts losing loyal customers. I believe that HDTV is becoming the norm, and that charging extra is for something that is not special is unnecessary.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Dish's (or anyone else's) HDTV is not free.

When they say "free HD", that just means that the line item isn't on the bill.  The cost is still there, it's just rolled into the price of your base package.

Exactly.  ESPN charges for ESPN HD.  MTV charges for MTV HD.  Several providers just charge everyone, regardless of if they have HD service.  They used to be able to claim "Free HD," but a recent court ruling forced the cable companies to start saying "no charge HD."

It's a similar situation with AT&T's DVR.  You don't see it itemized on the bill, but you're probably paying for it somehow.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Dish's (or anyone else's) HDTV is not free.

When they say "free HD", that just means that the line item isn't on the bill.  The cost is still there, it's just rolled into the price of your base package.

Guru

• 

512 Messages

13 years ago

Anthony_1 wrote:

Now that DISH Network is offering HDTV for free when will Att-U-Verse follow before it starts losing loyal customers. I believe that HDTV is becoming the norm, and that charging extra is for something that is not special is unnecessary.

Dish requires a 2 year contract to get free HD. The first year is a low rate while the second year is usually full price.
You also must enroll in Auto Pay and Paperless Billing for the entire 2 years for the free HD. A fee of $17.50 is charged for each month not enrolled in said programs.
Carefully compare channels and services between providers. Something advertised as FREE usually has some strings attached. I have not seen Dish run this ad as much lately. Wonder why?  
I agree; HD is becoming the norm and hope that competition will eventually cause all providers to drop the HD fee. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.