Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
bdelva's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 11:41 PM

"Rolling back action" with AT&T Communication Manager installation

PLEASE HELP!

I've been trying to help my friend install the communication manager on his PC for a week now with no luck.  He's got a Compaq with Windows XP OS.  I'm not a techie and he is also far from it but I agreed to help him get rid of some spyware that was installed.  I manually deleted the rogue file and then installed SpyWare Doctor; the rogue was gone but so was the AT&T communicator.

I tried to reinstall the communicator software and the software goes through the set up process:

• ...goes through the initializing set up steps then...
  • 'Updating component registration'
  • 'Copying new files'
  • 'Creating short cuts'
  • ...goes through some other steps then...
  • 'writing system registry values'
  • 'registering product'
  • 'rolling back action'
  • 'The wizard was interrupted before AT&T Communication Manager could be completely installed.'

What I've done to troubleshoot; I reset both TEMP and TMP to their default (c:\Temp) restarted my system, and everything installed fine.

To locate and make sure TEMP and TMP are set to the same directory, perform the following steps:
1. Right-click on My Computer,
2. Select the Properties option from the menu,
3. Click the Advanced tab,
4. Click the Environment Variables button toward the bottom of the window.

I did this based on a Google search; didn't work.

If anyone knows anything about this problem I need your help please!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I FOUND MY FIX!!!

So simple yet easily overlooked! The fix is to ensure that all files and folders are NOT set to "read only"! Can you believe that?  I set all of the program files and folders, temp folders, etc. on the c drive so that they were not read only and viola, all installed and ready to go!

Hope I can help someone else who may be having this problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Now that I have no hair left, here's a solution that finally worked for me....

You must make sure that the Windows file "mdmgen.inf" exists in the \windows\inf folder.  Setup creates a generic modem "Standard Modem" in Device Manager and binds it to one of the COM ports for "RIM Virtual Serial Port"

For whatever reason, I didn't have mdmgen.inf on my laptop with HP OEM install of XP-SP3.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.