For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
I.Torres's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, January 22nd, 2015 7:29 PM

Unlimited data, and very limited speed.

I would like to say that I have an issue with this situtuation. I have been with AT&T since before they merged with cingular.  I have been with them after and have never strayed away from them. But this is the first time I have ever considered leaving after my contract is up. I have had unlimited data since before the purchase of my SG4 2 years ago.Infact since my blackberry days. And I have never suffered any loss of speed. I called yesterday and was informed that because I have unlimited data, my speeds will slow down once I go beyond a 5GB of data. Here is the kicker, it seems that if i choose to leave that data plan and opt for 10gb or 30gb, my speeds will increase until I reach those limits. I just think that it doesnt seem fair that I have to let go of what I have paid for which is unlimited for many years, only to be told that if I want to get the best speeds in data, I have to let go of the discontinued unlimited data plan. It just seems dishonest from ATT to do that. I am actually discontent with that. I understand that ATT and many other mbile networks are trying to get rid of unlimited data, but its a bit insincere to do that to people who have been loyal customers for so long, for those of us who took a chance and spent a lot of money on the unlimited plan when it first came out as it was told to us that it was imperative to have if we have a smart phone, and now we are being told that sadly your speeds will be reduced to pretty much half the speed because they no longer honor the unlimited data. Im just venting about it. Because we all know, that once you let go of unlimited data, you will be stuck with whatever you get, and the overages on data are alot.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

One misconception, if you switch to a different plan your speeds don't continue to increase, you just don't get throttled. Also, ATT has agreed to stop throttling unlimited data plan users at set limits of 3/5GB and that should take effect sometime this year. You may still get throttled but only if network congestion requires it.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

That is so interesting that you said that. The customer service rep stated
yesterday that if i leace the unlimited data and switch to 10gb or 30gb my
data speeds would not slow down until i came close to those limits. So i
would have left my inlimited to a 30gb and still would dealt with the same
issue. I dont get why im being told one thing and then something else. Ugh.
I dunno what to do at this point.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

9 years ago

I hope venting helps you. You certainly aren't expecting those who pay for data to sympathize.
I am more likely to gloat....
I pay for 30 GBS data and line fees on 5 phones and 2 tablets total $225 per month. No complaints about data speeds or connections and we haven't come close to using all our data.
When I left Verizon 11 months ago I was paying $380 for 4 phones and one tablet and only 6 GBS of data.

Sometimes progress is a good thing...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I wasnt expecting sympathy. I was merely stating the current situation i
have. I dont have a family share plan. Its just me and moving from verizon
to anything is always better lol. Its just that dang im being throttled at
5gb and the only way to stop that is to pay the same amount i pay for
unlimited and pay it for 30gbs. I use my data alot for school research and
work and videos and movies. I just remember a time when i didnt have
unlimited and i remember paying so much because of overages and ATT
convinnced me to go unlimited.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @I.Torres

I’d just like to confirm that should you make the switch to our 10GB/30GB Mobile Share Value plan, or ANY Mobile Share Value plan, your speeds will not be reduced, even should you come close to the end allowed data for your plan. You will always receive the fastest possible speeds available in your area.

To explain the data speed reduction on Unlimited Data, the usage of data since that plan was created has changed so much. We’re using data faster and more often than ever before, and with more data intensive activities such as watching high resolution or streaming music, data speeds are reduced in order to ensure all of our customers receive reliable data service. This helps us manage our networks so that we can continue to provide the best possible service to everyone.

We also expect our customers will use more data on LTE, so we have set the threshold for unlimited data customers with 4G LTE smartphones at 5GB vs 3GB for our 3G or 4G smartphones.

Thanks,

Charise

Voyager

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Bilge.

Please spare me from getting the dictionary out again to define what "unlimited" means.

The reason people agreed to sign up for the unlimited plans in the mid 2000's was because they wanted  truely unlimited data and thats what ATT provided the customer until October 2011. October 2011 Att sent correspondence to all remaining unlimited customers. In that correspondence ATT decided to change their definition of Unlimited.

Att is not throttling longtime customers due to network congestion! There is plenty of data to show that is not true and you should know that.

The recent FTC ruling proves my points.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you so much. Finally someone sees what i meant. Thank you for
clarifying my point.

Mentor

• 

96 Messages

9 years ago

I can honestly say that I truly do and honestly feel your pain and will admit that I concur with your statements and opinions. All I can say is this:

I am a fellow consumer, but I have also worked in wireless for 7 years. The data thing is not going to change; unlimited data has slowly been weeded out for a couple of reasons-some that seem to have to do with customers and some that fall in line with making sure that network build-outs are not compromised with network congestion issues. All I can say is that 3 years ago when the unlimited data first started dwindling away there were real arguments about it, but at this point, every major carrier has shifted away from unlimited data and unfortunately theres not anything you can really do about it. Once you exceed 5 GB you may reach the threshold of users that are usign excessive data and may be throttled or will be throttled. I can understand that its not really the news you want to hear, but I will just say as a consumer your not going to earn anything for switching. First off, you have significant tenure with AT&T, losing all that because you want to be excluded from a change every company is making doesn't seem like the most rational thing to do, even on principle. Secondly, and most importantly, as just stated, all the companies are doing it, so switching isn't going to do you any good. You could switch to Verizon and lose talk and data and pay more or pay the same for T-Mobile or Sprint and have less coverage. Up to you, but I can tell you if any of the carriers had a choice in the matter it would be not to lose any of their customers over the data issue but unfortunately, as advanced as these phones have become, unlimited data is just not the future of wireless, at least not now anyways. Best of luck with your decision. And again I am a consumer and that is simply my opinion on the matter. 

Voyager

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am having the same issue with reduced data speed after reaching 5GB within a billing period for an Unlimited Data Plan. If i am paying for an Unlimited Data Plan, why should my speed be reduced? Unless i switch to AT&T's 10/30GB plans? AT&T needs to upgrade their Network to accomodate the Congested Data Usage of their customers rather than Punishing those with an Unlimited Data Plan. I am seriously thinking of leaving after my Contract is up if AT&T continues with this nonsense.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

9 years ago

The reason it's been 6 months since the last posting on this subject is ATT followed Verizon's lead and stopped throttling data.
Any slow down in your service should be brief and due to network congestion or poor reception.

If you are having a consistent problem, please contact @ATTMobilityCare to have them review your plan and setting to find out what's going on.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.