For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
jflorencejr's profile

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, November 20th, 2014 6:59 PM

Home Network setup using cell data

I can upgrade to 10G for less than I'm paying for my home ISP so I'm thinking of just tethering etc using my ATT data for home ISP. Is tethering with iphone the best way to set this up? Does anyone still use the micro cell device? And as long as I don't exceed 10G I won't get throttled, right?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

There are several questions in there, and some of them indicate misleading impressions.

There are several ways to set it up, and I would suspect that having a dedicate hotspt device might be a better coice than using your iPhone, for doing what you are thinking. That would allow you to use your phone for somethign else at the same time, or for you to leave with yoru cell phone while yor computer is downloading something at home.

Many people still use the microcell devices, but those are used to use your existing home internet connection to suppliment a weak cellular signal. If you cancel your home internet service, you can't use a microcell device. Worse, if you ar eusing a microcell device, then your plan to use your cellular data to replace your home internet will fail because you don't have a good cellular signal at home so you can't use it for yor home internet connection.

Lastly, with the Mobile Share plans, you don't get throttled. If you exceed your 10GB subscribed limit, then you pay $15/GB for the additional data you use, but it is still provided at the top speed possible with your equipment and location. If you may use more than 10GB, then this could get very expensive for you, especially is you do anything via your home computer on the internet. Keep in mind that the most recent iOS update is over 1.5GB if you download it using iTunes, so that would eat a huge chunk of your monthly data allotment.

If you are serious about this, be very aware of how much data you are actually using for your home computer, and make sure that the overage charges will not cause your "great idea" to suddenly cost you hundreds of dollars in overage charges...

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks, yes I've thought about usage. I can do iOS updates etc from Starbucks. I do worry a little about my Mac updates.

But if I don't use my iPhone to tether, what else could I use? Is there a router that will take the cell signal and then network it to my other devices?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@jflorencejr wrote:

Thanks, yes I've thought about usage. I can do iOS updates etc from Starbucks. I do worry a little about my Mac updates.

But if I don't use my iPhone to tether, what else could I use? Is there a router that will take the cell signal and then network it to my other devices?

An alternative to the iPhone would be a mobile wifi device such as the AT&T Unite which you would add to your mobile share plan for an additional $10/month.

By the way, for a limited time you can increase your 10GB plan to 15GB for the same price you are paying now. You can do this online or via customer support.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.