For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
katemh's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, November 21st, 2014 11:55 AM

Can't turn data on

This has been very frustrating. I turned the data off of my husband's line when we traveled to Europe. I've turned it back on through att.com and spoke with customer service yesterday to tell them that his data still isn't working on his phone. She said she took the "data blocker" off of his line. Still no ability to access data. Went to the Microsoft store where we bought his phone, and they verified that his data is on in the settings.

Not sure what else to do, but am seriously thinking of switching back to TMobile since I've had lots of frustrations with AT&T in the few months we've been with them - mainly with customer service not being able to help and/or being somewhat rude. In over a decade at TMobile I didn't have this many issues and am thinking I made a mistake by switching. 😞

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

Have you power cycled the phone? That will usually re-register it with the network. If that doesn't work, it may be a phone problem.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@katemh wrote:

This has been very frustrating. I turned the data off of my husband's line when we traveled to Europe. I've turned it back on through att.com and spoke with customer service yesterday to tell them that his data still isn't working on his phone. She said she took the "data blocker" off of his line. Still no ability to access data. Went to the Microsoft store where we bought his phone, and they verified that his data is on in the settings.

Not sure what else to do, but am seriously thinking of switching back to TMobile since I've had lots of frustrations with AT&T in the few months we've been with them - mainly with customer service not being able to help and/or being somewhat rude. In over a decade at TMobile I didn't have this many issues and am thinking I made a mistake by switching. 😞

Though I'm not familiar with Windows phones, you probably did not need to disable data on your account. You more than likely could have just turned cellular data off on the phone. 

If the suggestion of rebooting the phone does not work, your best bet now would be to take the phone to a corporate AT&T store. Despite what customer support told you, there might be something wrong with the account or possibly the phone needs a new sim card. They should be able to determine that at the AT&T store.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hello - 

We did take the phone to an AT&T store - they said I needed to call customer support to find out why my husband wasn't able to access data from his phone. That's who I called yesterday. They told me that they took the data blocker off of his phone and he still isn't able to access data.

Then we visited the Microsoft store to ask them if we had the data turned on correctly since this is a new phone we just bought from them a couple weeks ago. They said it's on, and that we need to contact AT&T to find out why it's not working. They suggested we power on and off, and we did - still not working. Aaargh! 

I guess we'll go to the AT&T store one more time. If we  don't have any success, I will look into buying out of our contract and starting with a different provider. 😞

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@katemh wrote:

Hello - 

We did take the phone to an AT&T store - they said I needed to call customer support to find out why my husband wasn't able to access data from his phone. That's who I called yesterday. They told me that they took the data blocker off of his phone and he still isn't able to access data.

Then we visited the Microsoft store to ask them if we had the data turned on correctly since this is a new phone we just bought from them a couple weeks ago. They said it's on, and that we need to contact AT&T to find out why it's not working. They suggested we power on and off, and we did - still not working. Aaargh! 

I guess we'll go to the AT&T store one more time. If we  don't have any success, I will look into buying out of our contract and starting with a different provider. 😞

I'm guessing that the AT&T store you went to was an authorized retailer, not a corporate store. I don't believe a corporate store would have instructed you to call customer support, they would have been able to take care of the issue themselves. Please make sure you take it to a corporate store if at all possible.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.