For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
whldorsey's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, January 19th, 2015 4:55 PM

Windows 7 wifi connect to home network

I brought my Windows 7 laptop home but can not connect it to the wifi. My home computer is a Mac Pro desktop and is networked with no problem.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

50 Messages

9 years ago

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem, @whldorsey.  Thanks so much for taking the time to report back and share the solution on your other thread:

https://forums.att.com/t5/DSL-Routers-Home-Networks/Windows-7-wifi-connect/m-p/4184281

Thanks,

Dan

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@whldorsey 

In what way is it not connecting? Are you receiving some sort of error message when you try to connect? If so, what is it?

Edit:

I see you mention an error 692. Have you tried just restarting your computer and gateway?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I click on the WiFi icon, the window opens, it lists the network name, I click on it and get a message that there was a dialing error(!), number 632, I think.

This is an AT&T U-verse hook-up, so I think it's reading the fact that it's coming through what used to be a dial-up, something that probably has a dial-up signature buried somewhere in its identity or protocol.

When I initially tried another way, entering the network name and password, I got an error message that said an adapter was missing. I do not know what that is about but I suspect it has to do with the WiFi detecting a "dial up" network.

The computer is a laptop supplied by the college where I teach. It connects to that WiFi without any problem at all.

I had decided I will ask the tech people about the problem tomorrow when we start back up from the holiday.

(AT&T shunted me off to a tech support that took 20 minutes or so to apparently figure out what the issue was before offering me the opportunity to pay them $180 a year ? $15 a month ? which I immediately declined. Since my Mac is networked with no problem, I guess they feel their contractual obligation is fulfilled.)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

9 years ago

This isn't an AT&T problem.
Resetting or removing all previous network connections and set up a new connection to your home network
You should be adding a wireless network ....is it giving you to add wireless, not ethernet or dialup?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Re the following: I posted a "Never Mind" last night and explained what I had done in case others are also mystified by the vagaries of Windows OS logic.
lizdance40 (Guru) posted a new Reply in Internet and DSL Community Suggestions on 01-19-2015 5:27:49 PM:

Re: Windows 7 wifi connect to home network

This isn't an AT&T problem.
Resetting or removing all previous network connections and set up a new connection to your home network
You should be adding a wireless network ....is it giving you to add wireless, not ethernet or dialup?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

9 years ago

So you are now able to connect? Good.
With Windows 7 you have to take the bad with the good.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.