For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
grannygeek's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, October 16th, 2014 10:56 PM

Upgrade to Uverse offers

I keep receiving offers to upgrade from Hi-speed DSL to Uverse. But I live in a subdivision where all lines are buried and are copper, with no plans to upgrade to fiberoptic. Also, I do not have a laptop, smartphone, or other wireless device, so why do I need a wireless gateway to get Uverse? I would have to pay for a new modem, even after all the *free* promotions. So why should I "upgrade" to Uverse if I will have to use the same copper lines, and have a Gateway installed that I don't need? How is this an improvement?

I do have very good service with my DSL, but have to get a tech out here 3 or 4 times a year to fix noise on my landline!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @grannygeek 

You should see an improvement in speeds and latency with U-verse, but it does need new equipment. It should also help with your landline noise.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

"Is there a time coming when my DSL will not work or be supported, and I will *have* to change to Uverse?"

Not that I know of. You don't have to get wireless, but you do have to get a new gateway for U-verse (it's a different technology and uses its own equipment), and it might have wireless capabilities as an added bonus. While those services might be using the same wires, U-verse is a different tech and it can achieve higher speeds with lower latency.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T Is trying to make it as attractive as possible to get people to upgrade to Uverse with digital Voice (which won't work in a power outage without battery backup.) Is a time coming when my landline/DSL will not be supported? Surely there are still many people who can't afford to change and would be left without service, or forced to pay for wireless equipment that they don't use. I have a powerful desktop computer, a landline, and an old-fashioned flip phone from Consumer Cellular. I'm happy with my DSL speed . My only complaint is the periodic noise on the landline, and that wouldn't change if I had to use the same buried copper lines to get Uverse, would it???

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

My questions were not addressed.

1. How can speed and latency (?) improve if I am still using the same buried copper lines?

2. Why should I have to pay for a wireless gateway that I won't be using for any wireless devices?

3. Is there a time coming when my DSL will not work or be supported, and I will *have* to change to Uverse?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

You just showed me myown message that I posted two years ago.

Apparently no one has answered my question.--Grannygeek
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.