For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
trodolak's profile

Explorer

• 

11 Messages

Friday, January 23rd, 2009 4:14 PM

Sending Email

My new iphone isn't allowing me to send emails outside of my home network (i.e. when I'm at a Starbucks, etc.)  I'm receiving ok but can't send.  My email provider is Roadrunner (Time Warner).  I've spoken with both Roadrunner and Apple several times but to no avail.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank You

Accepted Solution

Explorer

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

After numerous attempts, I've finally solved my email problem.  To restate the problem, my iphone wouldn't send messages when I was located anywhere outside of my home network.  My email host is Roadrunner (Time Warner) and and I use Outlook.  To fix the problem, I had to to change Outlook's settings to require the outgoing server to require authentication.  To do this, in Outlook, go to tools, email accounts and next.  Hit the change button and in logon information, add @roadrunner.com to the end of your user name.  Then hit the "more settings" button, outgoing server tab and check the button that says "my outgoing server (smtp) requires authentication".  The button "use same settings as my incoming mail server" should also be checked.  After these changes, close out of tools.

On the iphone, go to the email SMTP server settings and make sure the user name has @roadrunner.com at the end.

Since making these changes, I've had no problems sending email from anywhere. 

I'm posting this in case there are other Roadrunner email users experiencing the same problems I did.

Guru

• 

761 Messages

15 years ago

Do you have your wifi turned on when you try to send email? If so, turn it off and the email should go through. I'm not sure why it won't work through wifi, but it doesn't.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

15 years ago

On the iphone, go to the email SMTP server settings...

Often folks have a similar scenario as yours.

Here's what I tell folks about when their email is getting stuck outbound.

Consider your RoadRunner (or other isp) as the Wireless Mailbox with the Flag put up.

In the SMTP Settings under Primary Server check that the AT&T (G3/Edge) server is also turned ON.

I like to call them the email "Blue Boxes".  Whenever you leave the trust of your home wireless, you are basically carrying the outbound messages in your iPhone until you get home/work.  Allowing the additional SMTP server gives your eMail another sending path through the Cell Phone's data network.

Lucks all

~ Andrew 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

I had the same problem as trodolak on my new iphone.  Outside of my home network I could receive emails but not send them.  I took trodolak's advice and setup SSL verification with password on my iphone for the incoming and outgoing server and that fixed it.  From my experience you don't have to change your home email outlook program verification (I left that as is) - just change it on the iphone.
Message Edited by coloradotim on 07-01-2009 02:36:23 PM
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.