For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
BeiJingRen's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, October 9th, 2010 7:19 PM

Moving Abroad; What to do with iPhone?

Here is my situation. I have a 3G which I purchased in August 2008 meaning I'm out of my two-year contract but I am still using the phone. In a month, I'll be moving overseas and living abroad for 1-3 years. 

I'm trying to decide what's the best thing to do with my iPhone as I want to keep my number and if I make trips back to the US, I'd like to be able use my iPhone while here. However, I obviously don't want to pay for the iPhone every month while I'm not even using it.

Ideally, I'd like to freeze my account and then whenever I return to the US reactivate it so I can use my iPhone. Is this possible?

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

1K Messages

14 years ago

Yes, unfortunately there's no way to purchase the phone number. You can port it to another US company to keep it, but not purchase it to keep it and activate it whenever you want.

You'll have to cancel your account and lose the phone number.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

14 years ago

Not really. The options would be:

-Ask for a voluntary suspension. The line will be suspended but you will still have to pay the monthly charges. Obviously not a good option.

-Ask for a Reduced Rate Suspension. You can have your line suspended for a maximum of 6 months paying only $10.00 to keep your number. After the 6 months your line will be activated and you won't be able to ask for this supension again until 12 months have passed since the line was reconnected. Again, not a good option after all.

-Cancel your line. You have 59 days starting from the cancellation date to reconnect your line and keep your phone number. After the 59 days have passed, your phone number is lost permanently.

As you can see, unfortunately there's no way to keep your phone number without having to pay monthly charges. Your best bet is to cancel your line, lose the phone number and if you return activate a prepaid phone if you want a temporary AT&T service.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

Hmm so just to confirm, there's no one time fee I can pay to purchase my number from AT&T? I've heard of people buying their number from a carrier.

None of those other options you listed were really suitable so if I can't buy my number I may just have to go ahead and lose it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

Okay, well thank you so much for your help.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

14 years ago

You're welcome. 🙂

Scholar

• 

303 Messages

14 years ago

Port your number to Vonage and then plug the Vonage adapter into your internet whereever you are living.

I call my brother all the time on his San Francisco Vonage number that rings at his home in the Philippines.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.