For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Danlyshred's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, October 31st, 2013 2:15 AM

How to permanently erase iPhone data, text messages, contacts, photos before selling?

I want to permanently delete all data, contacts, music, pics, videos ever stored in the iphone. I know when you sometimes do a delete, its gone but theres a way to retrieve it as there awlays some sort of back up with another back up and such. What is the best way to totally delete all traces of all data stored on the phone? and how can I erase iPhone text messages, contacts?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

11 years ago

go to settings>General>Reset>Erase all Content and Settings

Your phone will be as it was the day it came out of the box.  Any backups you have on iCloud or itunes, you will need to delete those manually.  

iCloud - Settings>icloud>Storage & Backup.  From there you can delete any of those backups.

iTunes - in the preferences, go to devices and from there you can select a device to delete it's backup if it exists.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I found an article said: it won't permanently wipe data off iPhone if just perfom "Delete opeation", it still can be recovered by some professional data recovery program.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

11 years ago

The built-in Erase all Content and Settings command is secure. The data cannot be recovered.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/securely-erasing-an-iphone/

The article you linked to is hard to follow and contains references to menu options that don't exist.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

When you say it will be like new after deletion, does that mean that i have to reset my settings again ? Also is this done with spotlight turned Off on messages and emails?

I have virtually no technical insight so please explain 101.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

When i had called AT&T the rep said to use this app called PhoneClean to erase spotlight messages and emails. I downloaded it on my computer and was about to connect to my iPhone 6 Plus but thought I should wait for more information. I was afraid I would destroy my phone some way.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have the same issue with that, I need to sell my old iPhone 5, and I need to erase the personal data from it, somebody said ''erase setting and content'' can erase all data, but when I try to recover it with iPhone data recovery app, the deleted data still can be recovered, that's very incredible,

how can I erase the data without restore?

A man in ask.com reommend me using iOS data eraser app to erase data from iPhone, but I found it's not free and I aslo was not sure if it works as it descripts.

I'm sorry for pasting link here: http://www.safewiper.com/ios-data-eraser.html

but I really need help, If I need to purcahse it or not?

please give me suggestion! Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Only simple deletion or 'erase all content and settings' will not enough to ensure your data safe, those erased data still can be recovered by professional iPhone data recovery app.
To permanently delete all data on iPhone permanently,you have to use a professional iPhone Data Eraser app,which can help you completely erase data on iPhone without restore.

Read more: how to erase text messages on iPhone

how to erase contacts from iPhone permanently

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Simply deleted data can be recovered easily. Hope everyone know this to keep private data safe.

When it comes to data stored on your device, deleting files doesn't actually remove the data. File information is kept in a directory so that the operating system can find it. When you delete a file, all you are doing is removing it from the directory and flagging that part of the drive as being available for new data. Until that region is overwritten, the old data can be retrieved, in fact that's how you can recover lost data. It's also the way most file recovery programs work.

So you should choose the right delete method in different situations:giveumore.com/resource/how-to-wipe-or-erase-iphone-before-selling.html

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.