The Samsung Galaxy S24
Homeuser66's profile

Teacher

• 

40 Messages

Monday, June 23rd, 2014 5:52 PM

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Extremely Slow! SGH-I497

I have 2 of these things and both are Extremely Slow!!! One hardly has anythng on it (3GB used of 12GB available). Constantly using almost ALL the 799MB of RAM (which isn't much IMO) I am always clearing the Cache in the Recover Boot Mode (which helps a little). I am thinking on Rooting it and installing some Cutome ROM's without the BLOATWARE. Yeah, it will void my warranty (blah, blah. blah) I can't use the freeking thing cause it's sooooooo sloooooow.... The average response time to anything I do is about 30 seconds to 1 min. I have booted in Safemode and that seems to help a bit, so I know it's an app or software of some sort. However, I don't want to deal with it anymore. I want it to boot up and allow me to use it when i want to and not wait for what seems to be an eternity to use it....Has anyone found any good ROM's to use for this device?

SAMSUNG SGH-I497

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello Homeuser66,

Have they always been slow or is it something that developed over time? I would start with a factory reset, just make sure to back up all your data first. If it works well after, start installing your apps one by one and monitor any changes in performance, you might be able to figure out if any apps are causing these issues.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Teacher

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

I guess it has developed over time, not 100% sure. One of them has 2.43 GB of Apps/Data installed out of the 12 GB allowed. It is constantly using 680MB of the 799MB of RAM on here. I can't install more RAM (which would probably help). Is there a list I can find, that can tell me what I can Force STOP and KEEP OFF/STOPPED? I am ready to ROOT this just so I can get rid of Bloatware. In the Task Manager, in the Active Apps, I have nothing running at all, yet I'm using 689MB of memory, and when I clear memory, I get anywhere from 15 apps to 45 apps closed. Keep in mind, this is after I turn the thing on and just sitting here on the table. I have it in airplane mode and only using Wi-Fi. I have reset this to a factory reset 3 times already. I have been in the Boot Rom area (Holding down the specified keys) and Cleared the Cache-which I kind of do on a Daily basis. I see it lag more and freeze more, when the play store is downloading updates....

I will be looking for a start-up or some sort of Force Close list after I post this. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to let me know....THanks!

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

Its a misconception that freeing up RAM on Android will increase speed and performance.  Its more likely a certain bloatware(s) are using up CPU resources.  Which is not at all uncommon on AT&T branded devices; as the AT&T bloat is frequently poorly contructed and not well optimized.

I suggest using an app such as Watchdog Task Manager to see what apps are using up CPU cycles, and try disabling the offending apps.

Teacher

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

I will do just that... In the mean time, I have installed Titanium Back up and am able to freeze certain things. Which i have also just done and what a difference so far.. I just don't know what to freeze or leave alone....I also have ROOT access now....I just felt the need in order to turn things off or freeze them.. Some apps I needed ROOT access to use anyway....

Teacher

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

After using watch dog, it basically showed that, I also tried it on my Note 2 as well, Android System was using most of my resources. After that, there was very minor resources using it.  Also, im down to only using 300mb-500mb of my ROM... Hasn't froze or anything since I Rooted and froze AT&T apps. By Comparison, side by side, I ran 2 Tablest (exact models) and by far, mine runs and responds the quickest. No offense, but im a beliver of the ROM freeing up helps. The other one is 600mb-700mb ROM being used at all times

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.