For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Wild Banchi's profile

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

Monday, May 13th, 2013 12:15 AM

HTC One: First Impressions

I've been eyeing this phone lately. Does anyone have this particular phone yet? How well do you like it?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your brief review! Is the Wi-Fi connection really that strong and stays connected better than an iPhone 5? The Wi-Fi connection on my iPhone 4 is good, but sometimes disconnects, and I have to re-connect. I remember that my Samsung Captivate would hardly hold a strong connection, so that's definitely reassuring. 

There seems to be differences in the screen quality in the One and the Galaxy S4. The S4 seems to be very bright and vivid, but the colors look a little washed out at times. The One seems crisp all the way around; maybe a bit "toned down." The whites look white on the One; they seem to have a yellowish tint on the S4.

It looks like my next phone shall be an HTC One, Galaxy S4, or the next iPhone (iPhone 6?). Ugh! Why can't I just have them all? 😄

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Hehe personally when it comes to price, I would go with the One. 😛

The Galaxy S4 is a great phone, but I would rather pay $199 (or the no commitment price) for 32GB memory as opposed to 16GB for the same price on the S4.

But again, it does come out to one's personal taste. I would suggest watching some reviews and see which device you may like more. ^_^

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Evandela wrote:
Hehe personally when it comes to price, I would go with the One. 😛

The Galaxy S4 is a great phone, but I would rather pay $199 (or the no commitment price) for 32GB memory as opposed to 16GB for the same price on the S4.

But again, it does come out to one's personal taste. I would suggest watching some reviews and see which device you may like more. ^_^

I made note of the storage differences, too, Evandela. I also watched a few reviews on YouTube on each individual phone, and then a direct comparison video or two. The thing I like most about the One is the aluminum construction, front-facing Boomsound speakers, and the display looks very nice and clear. Things that kind of turn me off is the awkward placement of almost all of the buttons on the phone, including the volume rocker, lock button, and then physical soft keys by the HTC logo on the bottom. Also, I'm still a little leery on the camera... I know it's an "enhanced" 4MP camera and performs well under low light. I'm just curious as to how well it does in daylight and other light environments. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like apps cannot be placed on the main home screen? I think the Blinkfeed stream takes that up? 😐

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

"Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like apps cannot be placed on the main home screen? I think the Blinkfeed stream takes that up?"

-> Do you mean apps you've downloaded? You still can put them on your home screen, it's just done a little differently (no idea why HTC did it this way). You would have to press and hold the app and drag it upwards, then it's straight forward from there. It's one of those little things I dislike about the device, but maybe they will change that sometime in the future?

As far as the 4MP "enhanced" camera, as you said, performs very well under low light conditions. In daytime scenarios, it's not horrible but certainly not the best. If you a casually take pictures to post them up on a social media website, then that phone will certainly do the job. But in daylight, the S4 performs a little better. I'm sure you've seen videos of people editing photos on the One, HTC was very kind to provide this to users instead of third party apps (though I haven't really used it myself because the pictures were ok), but that is something to look into as well.

One thing I also dislike about the phone is the sensors for the Home and Back buttons. They are a little bit unresponsive at times, almost as if the device has to pressed in a certain way for them to work.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Yeah. I thought that you couldn't add apps on top of the Blinkfeed (main) home screen. It's good to know that you can. 😛
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.