For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
LyndaAnn's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 7:48 PM

Closed

Unlocked Phone APN Settings

Hello! I'm new to the community, and wanted to share something I recently learned: yes, unlocked phones, internation versions or domestic versions, CAN use AT&T mobile networks here in the US.

Some misinformation is out there, and I'd like to help get everyone connected!

1) If you have an "i" on the model of your phone, it means "international." That means it can be used anywhere, US, Europe, Asia, etc.  It DOES NOT mean it can only be used outside the US.  I have a Sony Xperia Pro, MK16i, I live in Virginia, and I just connected to the AT&T network. It is, however, a quad-bandwidth phone that supports 850MHz/1900MHz, which are the bandwidths used in the US. Your phone must be able to support these bandwidths to work in the US.

2) Unlocked phones do not have the APN settings auto-filled.  That makes sense, the manufacturer doesn't know what service provider you want to connect to!  But, here is the caveat: the service providers you call for customer support or tech support don't usually know the settings, because their phones come pre-loaded with APN settings on their in-store models. Calling them won't help you, but these numbers might:

Programming non-AT&T devices with the correct APN and MMS data settings

3) When finished, be sure to "select" this APN in the new APN list (which may only have one APN to choose).  If you are still not connected, go to your local AT&T store. See what APN settings are on their demo phones, you know, the "pre-loaded with APN settings" models, for your manufacturer. Type that data into your APN settings, exactly. I am going to create another access point with data from my local store this weekend, and see what that does!  If it works, I will share that with you, also.

4) check out this website for more information about international mobile network use and international cell phones:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/travel/global-cell-phones.htm

Good luck!

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Moved for better exposure

Former Employee

• 

32 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Bruce, one of the unlock policy's att has is that you need to USE that phone with the specific account that you're requesting the unlock for at least 6 months, now if you need your phone unlocked a third party company can unlock it for you, of course in exchange of an amount of money.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Does anyone know what the settings are for a prepaid gophone???

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have been searching forever for the APN settings that would allow me to get and receive photos in my text messages. NET10 (my provider, though I use an AT&T phone) was no help at all. I got different settings from different customer service reps. Your settings jogged something in my head. I was told I HAD to have the same thing in both Ports (80). Then I saw the APN Type that you had. NET10 customer service NEVER provided anything for this. I was ready to try your settings even though my phone is an AT&T Radiant (and NET10 provider), when the light bulb finally went off in my head - DUH!!  Look at my boyfriend's phone and try HIS settings!!!!  While he has an LG phone, we are on the same plan with NET10. I thought the settings were dependent on the provider AND the type of phone. This may not be the case, cuz VIOLA!!!!   I used his settings and I now get internet (which I COULD get before) AND also, FINALLY, I can send and receive photos in my text messages!!!!!  Something so darn simple, yet I spent days on this!!  Here's my info. I hope it can help someone else (thanks again for the inspiration!!!!):

AT&T Radiant phone, 4G, Android.   NET10 Provider.

APN Settings are:

Name: Net10 (it appears this name doesn't matter. It can be whatever you want it to be)

APN: tfdata

Proxy: not set

Port: not set  ( NET 10 said this had to be 80, same as the MMS proxy. Well, apparently NOT!!)

User name: not set

Password: not set

Server: not set

MMSC: http://mms-tf.net

MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com

MMS Port: 80

MCC: 310

MNC: 410

Authentication Type: none

APN Type: default,mms,supl

[APN is enabled, in grey here, done in the step or two before you actually get into these settings]

Bearer: unspecified

I hope this helps someone else!!!  Thanks for the info. This site is incredible!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Forgot to mention, my AT&T Radiant is a "Go Phone", but again, my provider is NET 10 (for NOW).  I am not sure if having a Go Phone that is truely prepaid would need different settings or not.  Thanks again!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.