Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get the myAT&T app
darkraw's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 2:48 PM

Verizion Backs Off Throttling, Lets Ask AT&T to treat us the same!

Verizion reversed its decision to throttle unlimited data customers after receiving a letter from the FCC. Let's politely ask AT&T to do the same for its most loyal customers.  You can have all the data you want at un-throttled speeds but you have to pay for it GB by GB.  At the same time AT&T states that leaving Unlimited data customers un-throttled cause network congestion issues. Its difficult to believe that I can pay for each GB and it doesn't cause a problem but by having an unlimited contract using more than 5 GBs causes an issue. Please post your thoughts below and let's politely ask AT&T to treat its most loyal customers the same way that other large telecommunication companies have treated their most loyal customers instead of second class citizens.

Link to Article

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

I think it's moreso paying to congest the network rather than is being a difference of whether it still does it or not. I used to have an unlimited data plan and used probably about 20gigs a month until it was explained to me like this: Imagine being at home connected to Wi-Fi with 5 other people. One person has been watching Netflix for 3 hours since it's unlimited they don't have to worry. Yet when I try to download a movie from iTunes it takes ages because they are hogging along the bandwidth. Or viceversa. The bandwidth goes to me and their movie quality is degrated or it has to buffer. I realize now a tower is like a big router and i don't want to take away from someone having a good experience just like I would want the same for me. I never really looked at it like that because I didn't want to have to watch my usage but now that I understand why I don't mind just flipping on my Wi-Fi toggle. Lol

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I understand your point, but I believe that there is more than enough bandwidth to go around. That is why I feel

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

like we are being ripped off. Does Verizion have more bandwidth than AT&T? Why can they provide the un-throttled speeds to their unlimited data customers and AT&T cannot. Also, I use wifi whenever it's available. My home network is much faster than LTE, but when Im around town and my speed is throttled to th point that I can't stream audio without it buffering then it becomes an issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

AGREED! This is an interesting situation AT&T finds themselves in. I can only assume that they will change their stance soon.

• Been with AT&T for almost 10 years
  • I have "Unlimited" data. Unfortunately I also have "Limited" home internet and can't just switch over to WIFI.
  • I have tested out T-Mobile who has horrible coverage at my home. Once their LTE gets rolled out completely, they are going to go from being a joke to a credible threat to the other three contenders out there.
  • AT&T reps tell me that they just don't want people abusing the system by tethering. There is a way to differentiate between heavy usage and TETHERING based on data speeds.I supposed that AT&T doesn't have that capability yet and T-mobile does? Hmmm....
  • I listen to Pandora in the morning, try to access DIY videos while renovating my home and if I'm lucky watch Netflix. My usage never gets above 8 gigs.
  • Based on their new promotions it is painfully obvious that they have the bandwidth and data available. That is just a fact and now they really can't deny it based on offering anywhere from 30-100g plans. Although costly, they are still available.

SUGGESTION FOR AT&T: SIMPLY INCREASE THE THROTTLING TRIGGER TO 10-15 GIGS PER MONTH. THIS WILL STILL KEEP THOSE WHO TETHER AND ABUSE YOUR SYSTEM AT BAY BUT WILL ALSO KEEP PEOPLE LIKE ME FROM COMPLAINING, CALLING AND/OR LEAVING YOUR COMPANY/SERVICE. It really is pretty simple when you think about it.

Oh and while I am at it, get on board with that streaming audio thing T-Mo is doing where it is not counting against your data. That will turn some heads as well. Thanks for listening....

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I would think ATT radio cell signals are saturated before the network switches. The switches are much faster. This so called bandwidth in traditional ISP terms was a reference to the switching capacity of the network switches. In 2014 The radio cell signals would be the bottle neck and this is directly affected purely by the number of devices communicating concurrently on a tower.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

It appears that Verizon does not want to jeopardize their organization with punitive damages imposed by the FCC. Ultimately, the term "Unlimited" means "boundless", "infinite", and "lacking any controls". In my opinion, AT&T should follow Verizon's lead.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am seriously enfuriated with att for throttling me even though I'm a 10 year loyal customer. Atleast raise limit to GB.. I'm seriously leaving to sprint soon if I don't see a change

Scholar

• 

124 Messages

10 years ago

Even though I have the 10GB mobile share plan, I have to agree that it is silly to throttle everyones data that has an unlimited plan. T-Mobile still offers unlimited data plans and they don't throttle, unless they can see someone is misusing it, then they will send those "abusers" warnings before they end up throttling them, which is a good idea. Plus, as someone else said, music streaming doesn't count towards data usage.

I thought about T-Mobile before coming to AT&T back in November (because even their plans are bit cheaper), but I know for a fact that their coverage isn't that great in my area, or wasn't at the time when my boyfriend had them (2 years ago). 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

10 years ago

You realize that

@darkraw wrote:

Verizion reversed its decision to throttle unlimited data customers after receiving a letter from the FCC. Let's politely ask AT&T to do the same for its most loyal customers.  You can have all the data you want at un-throttled speeds but you have to pay for it GB by GB.  At the same time AT&T states that leaving Unlimited data customers un-throttled cause network congestion issues. Its difficult to believe that I can pay for each GB and it doesn't cause a problem but by having an unlimited contract using more than 5 GBs causes an issue. Please post your thoughts below and let's politely ask AT&T to treat its most loyal customers the same way that other large telecommunication companies have treated their most loyal customers instead of second class citizens.

Link to Article

You realize, if Verizon customers want to keep their "unlimited data plan" they have to pay full price for new smartphones. I used to be on Verizon, and had unlimited data, but had junk browser on old Blackberry, it was useless so switch to lower plan. I think it is lucky that AT&T grandfathers the unlimited data to customers, without having customer pay full price for smartphones.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

That has changed ... you will pay full price for a new phone (i.e. iPhone 6). However, they will credit you up to $300 for your old phone (i.e. iPhone 5S).

They now allow you to pay the full price in installment plans.

But back to the original topic at hand, "Throttling".

I am all about being polite. Unfortunately, it will take some strong-arming from the FCC to force AT&T into a bargainig position. Either (A) remove the throttling or (B) the FCC may impose punitive fines and damages.

AT&T will most probably go with which is the more cost effective of the two.

Unfortunately the term "Nice" has little to do about it. However, customer retention and customer satisfaction does as that equates to $$$.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.