For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
laurenseidler's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, July 1st, 2014 3:04 PM

FTC223 MICROCELL ERROR GPS LOCATION

We have been using the microcell sucessfully for 3 years and have not moved locations. Last week the 3G was blinking RED and I reset the router, modem etc.  Reset network settings on phone etc.  All lights are green on microcell and STILL NO SERVICE going on day 5.  This is quite frustrating as my husband works form home some days.  AT&T has created a ticket but I am wondering if there is a FIX I can do at home.  Thanks for any help.

FTC223: The address entered during online activation does not match the GPS information provided by your MicroCell. Please update ?Your 3G MicroCell Device Location Information? section below with the current physical location of your 3G Microcell. If the problem persists, please call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

This is an ongoing issue with the GPS information that is being sent to the locational database. One is supposed to match the other and in some cases, a glitch develops and your address doesn't match the received GPS coordinates. The blinking red 3G light can mean a  hardware failure of the MicroCell. It can also mean that an update was pushed to your phone in the middle of the night and when the MicroCell attempeted to reset itself, the reset failed and now the MicroCell "thinks" it's broken. I would try a hard reset. Disable power to the MicroCell. Hold in the reset button on the back (using a paperclip) and restore power. Keeping holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds. That clears all memory and registers and returns your MicroCell back to default. It will then go thru the Initial Activation process. See my Tech Guide (link in my sig) for more information.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the hard reset three times and have read your manual front to back! Lights have been all green for three days now, any other suggestions? Thanks again!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

You should send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your problem, what you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and your location. These location issues seem to be sporadic and are not indicative of a MicroCell Service Area problem so they have to be looked at on a case by case basis. If you haven't done anything to your setup or upgraded anything recently, it just stopped, then it more than likely is on AT&T's side.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

ottoplylot, thanks again for your response.  where is the PM link?  went to your name but dont see it.  I have a "ticket" but still nothing happening.  thanks again.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

It should be at the bottom of my post in my signature field. The forums were just updated yesterday and they're still a mess while things get sorted out. To send a PM to someone, you should be able to go to your avatar in the upper right hand corner of the page, click on it and there will some options to choose from, Messages is one. If someone sends you a PM, there will be a little blue envelope next to your username with the number of messages waiting.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

thanks otto,

I just had a frustrating call from at&t.  today this person says it has nothing to do with gps but to put it into PRIORITY MODE and if that doesnt work then i should get a new microcell.  I love how yesterday another lady told me it was THEIR issue and that they would fix it.  Quite sick of this runaround so I sent them a PM.  thanks for your help,  really appreciate it.

Lauren

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

That is one of the reasons why I put together the Tech Guide. There are some really helpful and knowledgeable folks in support but there are some who never bother to read the support notes or are able to think beyond the script they have in front of them. I do know there are some who refer to the Tech Guide even though they are not told they can do so because it's not an "official" AT&T document.

Trying the alternate connnection ( modem -> MicroCell) is a valid troubleshooting method if you have a separate router because that takes the router out of the chain. However, if you have a combo unit (router and modem in one) you can't do that. If AT&T wants to send you a new MicroCell that's fine, but my guess is that you'll have the same location database error. Sending a PM to CustomerCare is your best bet at this point in time. If you ever have a need to call support again, I recommend that the customer get the name and any identification information (employee number, etc) from who ever you talk to. If they are not helpful or give you erroneous information, PM me and I'll get that to the appropriate folks at AT&T.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Otto,

Thanks again for your help. I will keep you updated if they ever find a resolution! Kind of stinks not having cell service for one week.....

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

10 years ago

If your problem is what I think it is, don't be surprised if your MicroCell just starts working again. AT&T is very quiet when it comes to explanations of what happened. At best, all you'll get is, "yes, there was a problem with your address but we fixed it".

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure if this matters, but the address I kept entering on my Microcell was NOT the same address as where my phone pinned me at - although I was still in my home. I'd gotten frustrated with my tower and put it away (before realizing this, of course), so I'm going to try it again this week, using the pinned address, and see if that makes a difference. Just thought I'd share.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.