For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
jacksapple's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, December 16th, 2014 2:23 PM

AT&T Microcell and Netgear WNR2500 Router

I recently upgraded my wireless router to a Netgear N450 Wireless Router WNR2500.  My wireless connections worked great with everything but my AT&T Microcell.  I've literally spent days on the phone trying to work out the issues with AT&T, Charter Internet and Netgear Tech Support.  AT&T advised me that my cable modem had closed ports 123, 443, 500 and 4500 that needed to be opened by Charter.  Charter advised they do not close or open ports and the problem has to be with the Netgear router.  Netgear Tech Support guided me through opening ports 443, 500 and 4500 for the ip address the Microcell was using, but port 123 was being used by my Charter Modem.  Phone call back to Charter disclosed their IP addresses for their modems are dynamic and not static.  Nothing I seemed to try worked with resolving the issues between the AT&T Microcell and the Netgear Router.  My AT&T Microcell would go through the activation process and the Network lights at the top of the microcell would turn red instead of green.  I would get the error message that the gps location does not match the address I entered to activate the Microcell.  My activation would only get to the Location Verification and fail.  Finally, I hooked my Edimax router back up and within 5 minutes, my microcell was working again.  Surely someone has step by step instructions on how to adjust the factory settings on my Netgear Router to allow access by the Microcell.  I've searched the internet over and have found many people have had the same problem with the Netgear Routers, but cannot find a solution to this problem.  If anyone has a solution, please post it... I would be greatful!

Thank you,

Jack

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

Unfortunately this is a problem with Netgear/Charter and not the MicroCell. I'll look around and see if I have something in my notes about this particular router. Some routers, as you have seen, come pre-configured to work the way the mfr feels they should, which isn't always compatible with the MicroCell's very simple requirements. The fact that you were getting red light indicates that nothing was getting to the MicroCell.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

It is a compatibility problem between the microcell and netgear. The microcell works just fine on Charter using the Edimax wireless router. I would appreciate any help you can dig up on what changes I need to make to the settings on my netgear router to make it work.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Would it help with finding a Solution to this if I were to email you screen shots of my router settings? I can log in to the netgear genie and take pictures of the settings. I'm sure it is something as simple as just knowing what settings need to be changed.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

Unfortunately, no. We are not here to troubleshoot your router or help you to set it up other than give basic information. I know that sounds harsh but it is beyond what we can, and should do. You need to contact the mfr for that specific kind of help. Sorry.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

So no help here either... I wasn't asking for help troubleshooting router issues, my router works very well with EVERYTHING I have hooked up to it EXCEPT the AT&T Microcell. I simply need to know how to set up the microcell through the netgear router. I was directed to this page for help by clicking on the support link on the microcell page at myatt.com. I apologize if I've taken a wrong turn somewhere. As I said earlier in my original post, I've been working on this issue for days. I have not been able to find ANYONE at AT&T, Charter Internet or Netgear that has the knowledge or is even willing to tackle this issue to find a solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

9 years ago

The basic router requirements are given in the MicroCell docs and in my Tech Guide. Other than that, unless someone here has your model of router, and is willing to help configure it, there's not much we can do. I would really like to help you with the configuration but with the number of different kinds of routers, firmware versions, LAN setups, it's impossible for us to keep up with all of that. And if anything goes wrong, we are blamed.

If your router works fine for internet that does't necessarily mean it will work for VoIP, because VoIP requirements are much more specific than routine internet traffic. Charter has been having some issues lately but have been able to fix some service areas. What they did, I haven't a clue and probably neither does support ( Charter's and AT&T's).

The MicroCell, in theory, is plug and play. At least that's how mine has been. Most of us do port forwarding to a statically assigned IP address for the MicroCell. That shouldn't be necessary but it does seem to make for a more stable connection.

If your old Edimax (?) router worked fine with the Charter modem and the new Netgear doesn't, then it is probably a Netgear issue. Especially if you can reconnect the Edimax and all is well with your MicroCell.

You need to check with Netgear on how to determine if the necessary ports are open, IPSec Pass-through is enabled, Blocked Fragmented Packets is disabled, DHCP is enabled, MTU = 1492, and only one device is performing the NAT duties.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.