Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
FOF514's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, October 10th, 2014 12:16 AM

Double billed!! They say prorated, but 2 bills equals 2 bills!!!!!!!

Ipad $10.00+plan $30.00+$15 data overage+taxes=Previous bill $56.38

New iphone 6 $40.00+$44.50 activation+$100 plan+Ipad $10.00 +taxes 6% should equal about $210.41 right?

Prorated charges  $53.48........plus 210.41 = $263.89!!!!!!!

How is it possible to have a bill that seemingly combines the old plan plus the new one? If your stumped, so am I. There was all the polite talk about how they had to charge me for previous usage, but the fact remains, I have a bill that is the financial sum of 2 bills. The customer service agent I spoke with was very polite and confident in presenting me the detailed billing information. I was assured the billing was appropriate, but yet I feel like a victim. I dealt with anomalous charges with my previous carrier (Sprint) & I left them and paid a $350 termination fee as a result all because I thought AT&T was a superior carrier and wouldn't dare take advantage of customers in such a repugnant way. Boy was I proven wrong. How much to walk away now? That bill plus $325......It's funny how they stick you with that knowing in two weeks you won't ever see a bill that would scare you away. I'm so angry right now, I could destroy this phone if it weren't so costly. After this, I'm going back to prepaid, I have been victimized by big wireless carriers for the last time! 2 out of the three is enough for me to walk away as soon as I can afford to, it's just not worth it. At the end of the day, it's just not fair.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, FOF514!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about any confusion regarding the pro-rated billing. We would be happy to review your account and discuss some options, so please click here to send us a private message with your contact information, the best time to reach you, and a brief summary of the issue.

You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen. In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

10 years ago

I was concerned about my bill as a result of a flawed customer service summary (which are not guaranteed to be accurate) which showed a next bill amount more than double what it should have been. I called them concerned that it would cause me to wind up with a huge bill due to prorated charges. They offered to call me back after the bill posted and sure enough the bill was about what it should be.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you change your plan mid-cycle, they will pro-rate for the date switched.  Than means if you are on a 2GB data plan and 10 days in you find that you have already used 1.8GB of that, so you call ans switch to a higher plan.  If you don't ask for the change to be back-dated to the beginning of the current cycle (yes that is possible when you call to make the changes) then they will charge you 1/3 of the 2GB plan rate for the plan you've used to date, but then they will also pro-rate the usage, so you only have 1/3 of 2GB or about 670MB usage on that plan to that date, so now you have 2 1GB overages in that first 10 days which now adds $30 to your pro-rated bill.  Suddenly, your prorated bill for 10 days could exceed your entire monthly bill on the old plan. You would also have 2/3 the normal monthly billing (and usage) on your new plan added to the pro-rated change you just made, so using a pro-rated switch can be much more expensive to you if you aren't careful.

As I alluded to before, with AT&T you can call them and make changes to your account.  When you call, the default is for the change to take effect at the beginning of your next billing cycle.  That is not your only choice though.  You can chose to make it take effect immedistely, in whch case they will pro-rate the old plan/services to that date, then the new plan/services from that date on.  The little known one is that when you call, you can also have the change take effect retroactively to the beginning of the current billing cycle.  Doing this seems a little strange, but it can save you money.  It can work both ways, (if you are increasing your plan or reducing it).  When you are increasing your plan, it can prevent overage charges for teh old plan, and if you are reducing your plan, it allows you to save the money for the full billing cycle.  You just need to look at your usage to date and make sure how it compares to see if the prorated usage will cause overages or not.  Being an informed consumer can be to your advantage.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

10 years ago

@FOF514 wrote:

Ipad $10.00+plan $30.00+$15 data overage+taxes=Previous bill $56.38

New iphone 6 $40.00+$44.50 activation+$100 plan+Ipad $10.00 +taxes 6% should equal about $210.41 right?

Prorated charges  $53.48........plus 210.41 = $263.89!!!!!!!

How is it possible to have a bill that seemingly combines the old plan plus the new one?

The fact that the prorated charges approximtely equal your old bill is merely a coincidence. The $53.48 is for the Iphone 6 plan from the date of activation to the end of the billing cycle. The $210.41 is for the whole bundle for the month in advance. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to billing.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

10 years ago

@FOF514 wrote:
I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to billing.

It's not Santa Claus....it's doesn't matter if you "believe". 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm having a similiar issue with my bill. What I am not understanding is how they are charging me a "pro-rated" fee, but also the entire monthly plan fee. My new Mobile Share Value iPhone on 4G fee is $40, and they are also charging me an additional pro-rated $28.

Why am I expected to pay a "pro-rated" $68 for $40 fee? No data usage, but an additional $28?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Changed from DSL to Uverse internet ... already had Directv. I had to call to bundle and get all my discounts as advertised. The AT&T Parma store never followed through. In fact when I called back to complain the manager and the sales associate were "unavailable". They sign you up and forget about you.

My activation date was supposed to be November 4th but AT&T delayed until November 7th. 

So here comes the big shock ... the revised bill comes through via email and it adds 

Proration $ 103.98

which NOONE at AT&T mentioned. What a scam! Everytime there is a change to my service it winds up becoming a complaint with the state attorney general and corporate escalation!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

ATT s so full of it I have been on the phone with them for 3 days over two hours a day trying to fix a problem that they caused with my wireless account. They charged me for each line as a single line for two months straight. I get my first phone bill it’s $505.00. Which it suppose to be $236.00 now I get my second bill and it’s $386.00 and it is suppose to be $236.00. I have emails on what my bill is suppose to be when I signed up and who I spoke with. All of the CSR states that I am lying that they don’t send emails. But I have them and with the persons contact Information. No one would let me speak with a manager they keep passing me around like I am stupid and kept giving me case numbers on credits they are suppose to give me on my bill I got a total of 5 case numbers and was told if the back offices see it was a problem they will credit you back that amount if they feel it was there error. Now when I did get a manager on the phone she was nice and said she was so sorry and this should of been fixed from day one because she see the problem also. Well she does another case and said it will be credited to my account by the back office and just go ahead and pay the invoices. I told her she must be screwed up and crazy I am not stupid and I just want to cancel all of my wireless services. Also I want to cancel my direct TV my internet and my home phone with them. She refuse to do that and told me just to give it a few days and it will be worked out. I am so upset with ATT I am in the process of going back to my cable provider and back to sprint where I should of never left after 10 plus years
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.