For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
ibeth's profile

2 Messages

Thursday, April 18th, 2024 4:02 PM

Has anyone been able to leave AT&T without creating more financial disaster?

Our 'contract' indicated the monthly bill would be $180 (high for me --I am 76 on a pension) It was a shock when the first bill arrived past the turn in date. My bill is seven dollars shy of being $300/month. I resent that we were lied to. I resent when I sent in questions about this, I received a call from AT&T and the representative didn't even say hello--just started screaming in my ear. His first screams was "our phones are not free!"

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 days ago

AT&T doesn't have cellular contracts anymore. If you purchased phone on a payment plane, that's the only "contract" you have. The first bills are typically higher than expected because it can take up to three billing cycles before credits and discounts appear on your bill. Carefully read your receipt and bill to make sure that nothing else was added on that you weren't aware of or that you don't want, like Asurion Insurance or the NextUp plan.

If you were expecting a "free phone" they are not free in the sense that you pay absolutely nothing for them. No carrier is going to agree to buy phones from a mfr and then hand them out for free to new customers. Read the TOS that you agreed to.

If you purchased the phone from someplace like Target, Costco, Sam's Club, etc those are independent resellers and are not actual AT&T stores (kiosks) or have AT&T employees. Quite often they stretch the "truth" in order to just make a sale and then leave it up to AT&T to deal with disgruntled or unhappy customers.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

13 days ago

What was the $180/ month supposed to give you? What's different making it $293/month?

Where did you "send questions?" 

I suspect there's something more to the story of the "screaming rep".

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.