Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
mjsoccerfan's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Saturday, December 19th, 2015 2:47 AM

Have you switched your u-verse TV to

i have been a u-verse customer for years. The last 6 months, even though I pay for ~25Mbps internet, I get terrible lag times when opening a browser window, especially when using google sites and chrome. I also get pixelation when watching Uverse TV. Also, I want to reduce my monthly costs.

the phone rep suggested I could save a lot of money by switching my Tv to DirecTV. He said I could access direcTV over the existing coax and cat5 wires that my cable boxes use. He said if I off-loaded my TV programming to satellite, then my internet performance should improve since it won't be sharing broadband bandwidth with TV.

has anyone done this? i had DISH over 10 years ago, and it was such a hassle, I'm reluctant to believe what this guy is telling me. Sorry for the skepticism and thx for your help!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@mjsoccerfan - Seems like att is pushing direct & I believe bandwidth more than 12 is shared with TV, so if you are watching channels they will lower your internet.

But, one solution to slow page load is to change the DNS server in your computer network preferences to google - 8.8.8.8.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

Based on your tv watching you could consider getting your tv with an antenna. You'd be restricted to local channels. If you use a DVR you would need to purchase one. Directv's 2 year contract only has a 1 year price savings. Check the prices in year 2 to know what you'll pay in the second year.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

I believe that uverse raised the internet speed to compensate for the tv because I have the 45 plan and when I am not watching tv my speed is 50 to 51.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

8 years ago

The connection bandwidth between the VRAD and your home is shared by all U-verse services and VOIP and IPTV have priority over HSI.  Each HD channel takes about 6 Mbps of the connection bandwidth.  If you have 45 Mbps HSI, then you should have a 55 Mbps connection, meaning the first HD channel makes little or no impact.

If you switched your TV viewing to DIRECTV, then yes, you wouldn't have the IPTV bandwidth impacting your Internet when watching or recording TV.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@dinglesby wrote:

I believe that uverse raised the internet speed to compensate for the tv because I have the 45 plan and when I am not watching tv my speed is 50 to 51.

Nope they overprovisioned VDSL 2 Internet users 2 times.  First one about 2 years ago, on 12/1.50M got 14.3/1.90M.  Second one about a year ago, now get 15.35/2.00M.

ADSL 2+ users only got the 1st overprovisioning. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.