Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Vargr9's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, November 29th, 2015 9:45 AM

Nov. 2015 Update Installation Error on Galaxy S6 Edge

I have now tried three times to install the Nov. 2015 FOTA update, download of update goes fine (connected to WiFi as instructed). Installation is where I hit a snag, I attempted to install the update, installation gets to about 30% (the latter two times same spot [or so], the first I'm unsure as I put it down to run the installation) the phone then starts up normally. When I unlock the phone I am presented with a message letting me know that the installation was interrupted and that the software update could not be installed. I am forced to wait 19 hours and 30 minutes before attempting to recheck software version for an update. After the third attempt and same failure message, I'm hoping for some help finding out why the installation is interrupted. Screenshot of the generic installation error message is saved on the phone, though I have trouble seeing how it could help.

Galaxy S6 Edge

Running 5.1.1

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @Vargr9!

AT&T has received reports of some customers experiencing software update installation interruptions/failures when attempting to upgrade Android on select Samsung devices.

The issue may be related to available storage memory on the device.   If clearing space does not resolve the issue, the device can be updated to the latest version of software at an AT&T DSC or Best Buy Samsung location.

To resolve the issue:

1. Clear Cached Data
  • Tap Settings > Storage > Cached data > Clear Cached data
  • Try downloading the software update again
  1. Create at least 4 to 7 GB of free storage space
    • Tap Settings > System Tab > Storage > Available Space to check current storage usage
    • Delete Unnecessary files (such as Pictures/Video/Music Files)
    • Note: For information on backing up your device, visit att.com/devicehowto and look for “Backup & Restore” in the topic list
  1. Visit an AT&T Device Support Center or Best Buy location for help updating to the latest software

Hope this helps!

Alison

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Was also disappointed with the update also. I have a Galaxy s6 active and this occurred too. Had more than enough space on phone though it gets interrupted with the installation.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have same issue too from lastes update for Galaxy s6 edge. I have tried to clean all cached data and have more than 15GB space, still failed many times...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Update is still failing at 32%, more than enough space is available. During install process at 32% completion, the label under the AT&T logo changes from "installing" to "update failed". It is at this point that the phone restarts. It's been weeks and the same issue still occurs, the update still auto-downloads, and forces me to attempt the install to remove the notification. Is a newer update going to be pushed to fix this issue?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.