Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
ShotgunBob's profile

6 Messages

Wednesday, February 7th, 2024 7:42 PM

Closed

SCAM / FRAUD

Has anyone else been a victim of the free Iphone 15 MAX Pro 512gb where the scammers have full access to AT&T's computer system?  I am looking to start a (Edited per community guidelines) suit towards AT&T for their IT department not keeping their system secure from scammers.  AT&T has further been very hard to deal with as far as getting it all figured out.

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

3 months ago

No one here has any idea what this supposed scam is, or how it indicates that scammers have full access to AT&T’s computer system.  Care to elaborate?

6 Messages

3 months ago

dwill05, how can you say Noone on here has heard of that when you are not even an employee or part of the fraud department?  TERRY actually posted about it on this forum on Jan 10th.  This Chris person who called had full access to my account without me giving him any information and he was even able to go in and change things on the account that I don't have any access to.  

So back to my question, who else on here has been a victim of this AT&T hack?

The number was from a Chris supposed ID  and the phone number was xxx-xxx-xxxx

(Edited to remove personal information)

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

3 months ago

This is a customer based public forum! You need to remove people names and phone numbers. 

6 Messages

3 months ago

That name and number is the scammers.  It is there to alert people.  Please use some common sense on here before posting.  Unless you are the scammer and don't want anyone to be warned.

2 Messages

2 months ago

Yes! I am dealing with this right now. I had called the call center over being billed incorrectly back in Nove/Dec 2023 when I found I was being billed monthly for two iPhones that I do not have and am not responsible for. I have been being billed for these since May 2022 but due to my job, I didn’t have access to review the itemized bills.
So, I call the call center back in Nov/December … The rep escalated to their supervisor and advised me someone will audit the charges and contact me within seven days to issue a credit and review. I then received a call from “Chris” about a week later, who had access to all of my info, was able to make changes and see things on my account that I am unable to see. This person emailed UPS overnight labels to me and had equipment sent back, he charged my visa for new equipment without me giving my visa or any other information. He kept stating he was reviewing and not to pay my bill as I have a large credit pending. He is now using this equipment I sent back and has added international calling to one of the two iPhones that I am paying for but never removed from my account and charged my visa additionally for.  If this doesn’t make sense, I am not being shady.. it’s just a lot to try to explain in a tiny text box. What I didn’t know was that he was billing many charges to my visa. Usually ATT reps do not have access to your visa for new equipment, even if your visa is on your account. So I did not even think to check my visa as I did not give him any account info. Then last week I called him to get status as this has been ongoing for months, he discussed the issue and advised he should have everything finalized and he is removing the incorrect charges and removing the lines of service that I have been billed for but do not have. He said it should take 1 to 3 hours to see all of this. I never heard back and then yesterday received many calls about disconnecting my phone due to a past due bill of over $800. I did not find out he was acting fraudulently and had charged anything to me until yesterday evening. Then I did a search and there are many people that are having the same issue with “Chris from ATT”, there are multiple people posting on this forum about him and this issue. 

I have spent hours on the phone with customer service and ATT fraud dept., I have only been insulted over and over and told to pay another $800 (fraud items billed to me) to avoid my phone being shut off while they investigate. One gentleman in the customer call center said this was my fault and I still have to pay for a new iPhone Pro Max that Chris charged to me because I was dumb enough to fall for a fraudster. I have had this account since 2012 with my iPhone, iWatch and iPad on it and have never had any issues before this. I am most likely going to have to go back to Verizon as no one is willing to believe me or look at this issue and take it seriously. This “Chris” was definitely in the ATT system as he was making all kinds of changes, ATT needs to take some responsibility. The fraud dept. rep stated “I cannot help you, I do not know. Ma’am, I am just employed by ATT, I do not make the rules.” 
This forum will mask the phone number if I put the phone number in this message. Chris called me from an 858 phone number that ended with 6678. The middle part of this phone number was 294. I believe he knew he couldn’t charge anything more to me as he ran so many charges and ran more last week, it caused a fraud alert on my bank card which caused the charge to fail. Once he did that and the charge failed, I never heard back from him about resolving my account and suddenly his number plays the “you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service” automated message from the 1980’s. This number is not actually disconnected, texts go through just fine .. he has set this message to play with a calling feature. 
I hope ATT finds this/these person/people and also stops blaming and charging the customers for all these fraud charges. 
I have no idea if this is close to being big enough for a (Edited per community guidelines), but it may be worth looking into. 
I hope you get your account settled and ATT corrects the issue for you. 
Cheers. 

(edited)

1 Message

14 days ago

I got scammed today. Their ATT website, msg, and email look real. They gave me a phone number to contact, a direct number, and a supervisor named Alex. The first scammer, a lady, couldn't speak fluent English and called the supervisor to talk to me. They knew all my ATT information and told me that I got a 35% discount for 3 years and an iPhone 15 Pro Max for free, only paying for tax and shipping for $89, but they charged me $93 instead. At that time, I felt very lucky to be an ATT customer with all these benefits. But suddenly, I just felt weird that they never asked for my passcode and kept asking for a pin in the message. I waited 10 minutes for the second message and then made a new ATT website account with a newly generated email. So I called 611 instead of the number they gave me and discovered they were a fraud. I had to cancel all my credit cards and block my online banking because I worried that they had hacked my phone. It was a lot of headaches, and I realized that ATT personnel only told me it was a scam and didn't offer any solution, such as changing my online account; I have to call them during office hours tomorrow. I feel like canceling the whole line and getting better cell phone companies, like Verizon, which work well at the mountain location. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.