Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Corinnewallick's profile

1 Message

Sunday, May 5th, 2024 2:31 PM

Getting on my own plan

I’m on my parents T-Mobile plan, and we are due for upgrades. I would like to get on my own plan with AT&T. My phone is already paid off. Can I use this phone as a trade-in? The phone is technically under my dad’s name, so how does that work? He’s on board, btw.

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

13 days ago

AT&T doesn’t care what you have going on with T-Mobile.  You go through a credit check and sign up for your own AT&T plan just like any other new customer.  As far as the trade, I don’t think AT&T checks any phones that aren’t on AT&T account.  They don’t check whether they’re paid off, or whose name they are under.  Likely they only check if the phone is blacklisted.  Any outstanding balance remaining with T-Mobile is between them and the account holder.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

13 days ago

FYI in order to port your number to a different service provider you need the account number and security pin and or port pin.  

You also have to be able to factory reset your trade-in phone to remove any user locks.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.