Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
purplestares's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, February 9th, 2016 10:49 PM

Does it cost extra on your UVerse plan to use a netbook?

Sorry if I mix things up. I'm not that knowledgeable about smartphones and netbooks.

I have ATT Uverse and want to buy a netbook from Amazon to use alongside my laptop. I understand that you can't use a smartphone with ATT that doesn't have a data plan without it being added automatically to your account. Is the same true for netbooks too? Are netbooks seen more as tablets/phones or laptops when it comes to using it with ATT's wireless internet service?

I want to be able to use it at home, but don't want to get a surprise charge or bill.

Thanks for your help. Hope I explained it properly!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@purplestares wrote:

Haha Definitely not a blacklisted phone.

My daughter used to use Freedompop with a Sprint sim card but switched to another company and gave me the iPhone that she purchased from Freedompop. 

Just to be clear, it's perfectly safe and fine to use a netbook and an iPhone without a sim card on ATT wifi only, right?

Last year, my daughter raked up a huge bill for me from ATT, thinking we had international long distance. It took me months to pay off, so I'm just leary about it, since I'm not that tech saavy. haha

Without a sim card, it is impossible to connect to the ATT cellular network and incur any expenses. The ATT wifi via U-Verse has nothing to do with ATT cellular and you are completely safe to use the U-Verse wifi. You can use any wifi capable device, including locked and/or blacklisted devices.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

You can use it as a wifi only device, no cellular required.

You can purchase any device and not add a SIM card, using only over wifi.  Only devices with a SIM card and service are added to your cellular account.  You will have to buy elsewhere as ATT insists on adding cellular service with its devices.  (Love Amazon!)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Bear with me. This might be a stupid question. 🙂

Does a netbook use a SIM card? I really thought it was like a mini-laptop, but maybe I have the wrong idea.

Also, I thought that if you used a smartphone that didn't have a data plan, it could be added to your account, but what you're saying is, I can take out the SIM card from a smartphone and just use my hom wifi without being charged?

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@purplestares wrote:

Bear with me. This might be a stupid question. 🙂

Does a netbook use a SIM card? I really thought it was like a mini-laptop, but maybe I have the wrong idea.

Also, I thought that if you used a smartphone that didn't have a data plan, it could be added to your account, but what you're saying is, I can take out the SIM card from a smartphone and just use my hom wifi without being charged?

That is correct. You could even use a blacklisted device as long as you only use it on wifi.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Haha Definitely not a blacklisted phone.

My daughter used to use Freedompop with a Sprint sim card but switched to another company and gave me the iPhone that she purchased from Freedompop. 

Just to be clear, it's perfectly safe and fine to use a netbook and an iPhone without a sim card on ATT wifi only, right?

Last year, my daughter raked up a huge bill for me from ATT, thinking we had international long distance. It took me months to pay off, so I'm just leary about it, since I'm not that tech saavy. haha

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

8 years ago

Netbooks and tablets are both sold with wifi, or wifi and cellular.  The ones with a cellular option are always more.  You can purchase a wifi and cellular version and use it as wifi only, until you need a data plan.

A smartphone without a SIM card is a small tablet.  Lol.  I have an iPhone 6 Plus with no sim, storing my iTunes music and acting as a Roku remote.

If you add a smartphone to your wireless plan, it must have a data plan, these days data plans are shared.

The plan builder might give you an idea of costs involved if you put things on your data plan.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

A netbook or tablet can also be tethered to a smartphone, using its data plan, if you are on a tiered data plan (Mobile Share Value plan).  Unlimited plans may NOT tether.

If it has a SIM card, it is using your mobile data and should be used with care (with roaming off)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you and Lizdance40 for your help.

I came here looking for answers about a netbook and now I'm leaving with valuable information about my once "useless" iPhone too. 

I took out my Sprint sim card, turned on airplane mode, and then connected to my ATT wifi. Everything works great and I don't have to worry about being charged. 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.