Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Check for service outages
PhillipHall17's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 25th, 2018 3:52 AM

Mobile throttling

I understand after I use my (supposed to be 22gb but is now 15gb) my data is supposed to be slowed down.. but my absolute fastest rates of speed hardly exceed 10Mb/s when I have the high speed and when it slows down I am getting .01Mb/s.. I do not live in a congested town at all and I near a cell tower.. I’m not sure what to do but I know if this proceeds I will not be paying for this service... 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

6 years ago

Speed is determined by tower output.  I get just under 10 Mbps at home.  It’s sufficient for streaming video on my devices.  

The 15 gig limit is on the hotspot, not your phone.  Tethered use is capped at 10 or 15, depending on plan.  Your phone may be reprioritized at 22 gigs, not capped.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Yep, starting a few weeks ago my phone began being throttled into oblivion, with no explanation or recourse. You'll get some fluff about congestion or the primary hamster in the tower died and the secondary is tired and needs replacement... but I have my phone getting unusable data rates (timing out on 200 kb), where my wife's phone *right* next to it can stream HD video. I know that *I specifically* am being throttled, and it's going to lead to AT&T losing yet another customer... but they couldn't care less anyway. My past with AT&T led me to purchase an S7 that's dual band, so when I ditch AT&T's GSM I can walk right over to Verizon's CDMA with nary a worry. I suggest everyone do the same.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Coalora

I assume you mean you bought the unlocked version.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, I bought a G930U, if that's what you mean by "unlocked". It's confirmed that it talks to both networks equally well.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Coalora wrote:

Yep, starting a few weeks ago my phone began being throttled into oblivion, with no explanation or recourse.

Your plan has always come with a limited amount of hotspot. They just finally flipped the switch to enforce that, I guess people were using too much. The speed when you pass the 15GB limit is a max of 0.128Mbps and is pretty unusable (IMHO).

but I have my phone getting unusable data rates (timing out on 200 kb),

When using the phone portion? or the hotspot?

where my wife's phone *right* next to it can stream HD video. I know that *I specifically* am being throttled, and it's going to lead to AT&T losing yet another customer... 

Your phones shouldn't act the same unless you've both crossed the same thresholds. I'm not sure why you'd expect them to be the same.

How much have you used this cycle? and how much for your wife?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

This is using the phone, and the cycles just started a few days ago. I never exceeded my data last month, but I thought I would give it a chance when the cycles renewed. No change for me from day one of plan renewal.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.