Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get the myAT&T app
Zimny's profile

8 Messages

Thursday, May 9th, 2024 7:34 AM

WiFi calling

I will be traveling to Europe and have decided to purchase an eSIM from a local provider because it is cheaper for me than the Intl Day pass that AT&T offers.  I have been hearing about WiFi calling as an option for calls back to US, but I do not fully understand how this works.  WiFi calling is enabled in my phone and according to my bill it does get used, although when and exactly how I am not sure.  If I enable my AT&T eSIM while I am Europe while I am on WiFi and call a US number will it automatically go to WiFi calling?  If not it could result in an expensive call.  How can I know if I am using wifi calling or how can I control this?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

11 days ago

Connecting to a new Wi-Fi with passkey, your phone would have to be in airplane mode to disable cellular, and then you sign into the local Wi-Fi at your accommodation. Then yes Wi-Fi call or text back to the USA is free. The connection will be as if you are still in the USA.  

It is also recommended that you have international day pass on your line as a safety net..  just keep your AT&T SIM disabled with airplane mode or turn the SIM off to avoid charges.  

Pay per use charges are extremely expensive, you don't want those

8 Messages

11 days ago

I’m confused because I thought I had to be using a cellular plan in order to use Wi-Fi calling.

8 Messages

11 days ago

OK strike that question. I now understand that the airplane mode will  enable me to do Wi-Fi calling through my cellular plan. if I want to use this option with my AT&T plan, I will turn off the local eSIM And switch back to the AT&T eSIM. Can I switch between sims while I’m in airplane mode?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

11 days ago

I don't see why you couldn't switch SIM while in Airplane mode.

However, do be sure that your phone is not carrier locked to AT&T, or you will not be able to use another SIM.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 days ago

Definitely be in Airplane Mode when switching SIMs. Any cellular connection on the AT&T line could incur the IDP charge. 

FYI I use the local SIM for Apple Pay on my iPhone. My Apple Watch using Bluetooth will also make payment functions. You should be able to use the similar function on your phone. The last 5 trips to Europe I hardly paid with cash. 

• 

31 Messages

11 days ago

If you’re planning on using WiFi calling then your AT&T sim (or eSIM) needs to be in the device. I am not an Android expert but if you’re on Apple. You can dual sim so you’re using your local sim for cellular calls / data but then use WiFi calling for calls back to the USA. 

As you can see from the screenshots below. I’m roaming in the UK on the ‘3 UK’ network but when I’m using WiFi Calling, it changes to AT&T WiFi.

I make sure I’m on WiFi calling before making / receiving calls from the States.

(edited)

8 Messages

11 days ago

Yes I will have both eSims in my phone.  I’m planning to turn off the AT&T one for the most part, but I want the option to turn it on to use the free Wi-Fi calling through AT&T. When I use it I want to be sure that I don’t incur any ATT charges  because they could be exorbitant. I do think it’ll be a good idea to have the international pass active just in case that happens. But it would still be a $10 charge that I didn’t intend to pay. so I’m trying to make sure if I do use my AT&T I do it properly. it. Sounds like if I keep the phone on airplane mode while I do it I shouldn’t have a problem 

• 

31 Messages

11 days ago

I’ve just tested it for you here in the UK to check it’d work and it did. I put the phone into airplane mode, re-activated the WiFi and in seconds AT&T appeared. So you’ll be good. 

8 Messages

11 days ago

so is it a bad idea to leave Wi-Fi calling on all the time? Does this use more battery power?

• 

31 Messages

11 days ago

Not at all. Lots of people use WiFi calling all the time to cover them when coverage is bad. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.