For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
madmax988's profile

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

Tuesday, November 5th, 2019 10:39 PM

Internet ping time jumps make gaming unplayable

I have Internet 50mbps/10mbps the fastest available at my address, it runs over ancient copper wires.  When I try to play games such as pubg mobile, it's unplayable.  I start a relatively ok ~60ms, but it will randomly jump to 200-400+ms, and then often so high it causes a server time out.  When I run a speedtest it says it's only 25ms.  I know the issue isn't my phone, as I bought a brand new samsung s10+, and still have the issues,  I know the issue isn't the game or the phone, because if I switch to my Verizon 4gLTE, I can play just fine (although it's stable it's relatively slow and barely playable 100-150ms ping).    I do get FEC errors and the occasional CRC errors, could this be causing the problem? I even get the occasional handful of errored seconds and is there anything that can be done to fix the problem?  I also recently changed from a 5289ac to a BGW210, but that also didn't fix the issue.  

Is there anything AT&T can do to fix this?  When you ask the phone support they have no idea what ping is and just talk about bandwidth speed issues.  When I ask the techs who were at my house, they say I should just be happy my internet is working.  The first tech tells me to wait until fiber comes to my house to fix it....the second tech tells me that even though there is fiber 2 streets away in my neighborhood that at&t is broke and is never bringing fiber to my street and has completely stopped fiber installs in my city.  AT&T has been telling me fiber is coming soon...for over 5 years so I'm not holding my breath.  Is this really the best at&t can do?

Is there anything else I can check to make sure my line is in as good of condition as it can get?

Employee

• 

237 Messages

5 years ago

Hey. My suggestion will be to close the 5Ghz band on the BGW210 and use only the 2.4Ghz

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

5 years ago

@SuperMario87 

I'm curious why the 2.4ghz would have better ping than 5ghz?  also I'm not actually using the bgw210 for wireless.  I'm still using the bgw210 as the router, but have wifi disabled, and am using a netgear nighthawk r7000P as the access point.  

Employee

• 

237 Messages

5 years ago

Hey. Because 2.4Ghz has better coverage and stronger signal. Also the band steering feature (moving from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz and vice versa negatively impacts the connection performance). However in your case you are using router after router. If you haven't already you need to set up the BGW210 IP passthrough. if ip passthorugh its not set up it means you have 2 routers doing the same job checking every internet packet and slowing your connection

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

5 years ago

I have the router functions disabled on the r7000p. It's just functioning as an access point.  Do I still need to set ip passthrough? 

Employee

• 

237 Messages

5 years ago

Since r7000p is assigning local IP address via DHCP to the home devices it still have router functions.

Anyway, Yes you need the passthrough. An do also a trace-root from your PC to check on which network point the connection is having problems

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

5 years ago

@SuperMario87 

The r7000p isn't assigning ip addresses, only the bgw210 is.  All of my ip addresses are 192.168.1.X, the bgw210 shows everything connected to r7000p as ethernet 4 since that's where r7000p is connected, when I setup the r7000p I had the choice of router or access point mode.  access point mode disables dhcp/nat/qos/firewall for it, my understanding is it's essentially functioning as a switch w/wireless.  (I set it up this way, because when I had the 5268ac and tried r7000p in router mode even with dmzplus it just wouldn't work right and kept getting double nat problems, and vonage couldn't connect through it).
I haven't bothered trying r7000p router mode with bgw210 and ip-passthrough.  

Given my current setup, would you suggest I use ip-passthrough with r7000p access point mode?

or should I switch to r7000p router mode and then enable ip-passthrough

or is ip-passthrough unnecessary?

Can you explain to me how to do a traceroute properly? what address do I ping?

Employee

• 

237 Messages

5 years ago

With the current setup you have you don't have to do a IP-passthrough. Even though it still sound strange that is working like that 🙂

I would suggest to try and connect directly to the BGW210 over wifi and play a pubg game just to see how it works (turn off the r7000p and unplug from the ethernet port of the bgw210)

For Traceroute you can follow this article. https://kb.intermedia.net/article/682 What its important are the response time values after each step. You can use as hostname att.com or you can search for pubg mobile IP servers and traceroute them directly

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.