Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help connecting your router?
E

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, June 10th, 2021 1:38 AM

a technician will be taking a look at my Arris modem/router NVG 589 tomorrow and if it needs replacemnt

The modem/router is not 100% anymore and as a  result I'm losing internet connectivity.  Comes and goes.  My fear is that it will be replaced and, of course, I will be stuck with monthly payment for the fix.  More like a monthly rental fee on the replacement.

I don't want to have to pay for months and possibly years to come.  I should not have to pay for any part of it. I want a guarantee that I won't have to pay for that. Lo income, senior on fixed income--I want a free replacement for something that shouldn't need replacing.

Or send to me the installation necessities and I'll do it myself.

Thank you., 

ethel (Edited as per Community Guidelines)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

3 years ago

Are you currently paying a monthly fee?

Are you an ACCESS account?

The 589 was never one of the gateways that could be purchased, has always had an equipment fee charge of either $7 (pre 2016) or $10 (since 2016)  depending on when service was established.

There were some new customer promos over the years that included the gateway for the first 12 months, then charged when the promo expired.

ACCESS account, $5 OR $10 per month program who those on SNAP program have the gateway fee waived.

https://www.att.com/internet/access/

If an equipment fee will be activated by swapping the gateway, it does not matter if the tech swaps or unit sent to you, once the new unit is activated the charge would apply. This is also true if move to a different address or change your package.... the new billing would apply to the changes at time of being activated. 

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for the excellent feed back.

Received feedback from my vpn-private internet access- that vpn does not work in wifi modem's.  Only certain modem's, so goodbye private internet access.  That is really too bad-more research for me to read. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

ATT gateways have never supported vpn’s that I am aware of. A wireless router connected to your gateway is needed. Did you have a vpn with the 589?  

What did the tech do?  Fix wiring and keep gateway? Replace gateway? If yes, what model?

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.