Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Lt_Murphy's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 8:01 PM

Connecting Mac Airport Time Capsule to NVG589

I am PC, my wife is Mac. It's a cruel world. What do I need to know before connecting her Airport Time Capsule to the NVG589 modem/router in order to create her own Mac network?

[Subject edited for better exposure]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

First, turn off the wireless of the gateway by going to 192.168.1.254 in your browser, finding the wireless section and turning it off.

Second, to make it easier on yourself. Use the airport utility(if you haven't downloaded it, do so).

You should then connect it to the gateway by Ethernet, but be sure to do this step:

Depending on what Airport Utility version you use, you may find the option "Bridge Mode" under "Internet" for "Connection Sharing" or under "Network" as "Router Mode." This turns your time capsule into an AP.

For best wireless performance, be sure to set your wireless network to channels 1,6, or 11 on 2.4 GHz and typically channel 161 on 5 GHz. Those provide better performance for most people.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Catch 22. I want to use the AT&T wireless for my PC, essentially running two
networks - one Mac and one PC. Is this doable?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, just make sure your gateway is set to channel 1 or 11 and your time capsule set to channel 6 instead of turning off the wireless. Why would you want to two separate networks though? It just takes up more of the already congested 2.4 GHz band.

The Time Capsule technically has two networks(one 2.4 GHz and one 5 GHz), but it depends on if you device is capable of seeing the 5 GHz band network.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I think I'm interested in this same setup.

Here's my thinking. (Please correct any misunderstandings I may have, I'm very novice at this.)

I'd like my family to be able to use the wireless network provided by the AT&T NVG589 home gateway which supports 802.11 B/G/N (most of our devices.) 

I'd like to use the Time Capsule network just for me and my work activities. My thinking is it would help me avoid some possible wireless network congestion from the family and the Time Capsule also supports 802.11 AC, which my MacBook Air and a few other devices use. 

I'd love to hear feedback on whether this makes sense. If so, how best to set things up.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.