Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
1ashar's profile

1 Message

Wednesday, May 8th, 2024 4:00 AM

Buying your own router in addition to renting one

Hi, I am a streamer and the router at my house is on the opposite side of my house to my office due to where the fiber optics can come from. I want to buy a router and have it in my office while still using my old router for everything else. First of all, is this possible, or do I just need to stick to one router? If it is possible, will there be an extra charge for my internet service? And where can I find what routers are compatible with ATT's service?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

21 days ago

What a lot of folks do is purchase a mesh WiFi router (Netgear, Eero, Ubiquiti, Google, etc) with a satellite, place the AT&T gateway in pass through mode and allow the new router to handle all of the routing and WiFi duties. If you can hardwire the satellite for the backchannel that is much more stable and reliable but using WiFi for the backchannel works just fine.

AT&T will not charge you anything extra to use another router. You just have to use their gateway. Using two routers for a single internet connection can lead to a double NAT, which is no good.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.