For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Arya's profile

4 Messages

Tuesday, April 16th, 2024 2:16 PM

Stuck at at&t service screen after reinstall windows on laptop

I'm installing a new windows for my HP Elitebook 745 G6. To my surprise an AT&T service acreen showed up and ask for a security key. I didn't know anything about this. I get this laptop as a gift and after years of use, I wanted to reinstall the windows, but getting stuck at this screen. What should I do?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

15 days ago

Where did you get the installer for this new copy of Windows?

4 Messages

15 days ago

I borrowed a flashdisk from my friend; the Windows installer is inside the flashdisk. Run the installer to install the windows and get stuck on the AT&T services. I tried diskpartition and created partitions on the command line but it is still reappeared.

It's like they have something embedded in the hardware that make this keep reappearing. Not something from the SSD but from the hardware in the motherboard

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

15 days ago

Where did you get the system?

Have you ever installed windows from this flash disk before?

Regardless, we're not going to have many answers to questions with respect to AT&T's internal IT practices.  Either your PC does have some security baked into the ROMs or, more likely IMHO, the install kit you have is customized to be used for AT&T internal machines.  You can ask your buddy for a different installer, or check with whom you got the machine from for answers.

4 Messages

14 days ago

It was given to me from my uncle, He didn't mention specifically where he get it, but I believe it was a used laptop from a certain IT company that bought lots of these units for its employees and then decided to replace those with newer ones. And this is one of the old laptop from that company. Don't know how he managed to get it, though.

The windows installer in the flashdisk is just a normal windows 10 installer and it has been used on several of my friend's desktop PC and laptop, and not any of them have this AT&T services that prompt for a security key; so it's definitely not from the windows installer but a security feature that has been embedded in the hardware.

Thank you for the answer. Tracking for the person might be difficult since my uncle suffers from an illness just a year a go (I got this laptop in december 2022), so asking him would be impossible. That's why I would like to know if there's a way to bypass the security system, and if not is there a possibility for me to obtain this security key. I know this is a delicate matter since it concerns with AT&T security services, therefore I will not going to prolong it, and I could just buy a new laptop instead, but  still, if anyone ever experienced it and able to get pass it, I would be extremely grateful if you'd be so kind to tell me how. 

4 Messages

13 days ago

Update: I have managed to get the windows up and running by clearing all settings in BIOS and replace the SSD (I do them both of the time, so one of them must be the most effective). Thanks 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.