Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
ericgoldman's profile

Observer

• 

7 Messages

Friday, February 4th, 2022 4:22 PM

Closed

AT&T fiber in affluent Sherman Oaks, when?

Trying to get fiber, but it looks like AT&T only goes up to 25Mbps, compared to starting speeds from Spectrum at 200Mbps and I have 1000Mbps from them.  AT&T has been giving me direct mail advertising looking for over two years.  I am not convinced that I am on AT&T's roadmap, after a year, I cannot get any sort of ballpark ETA.  Has the permits been pulled?  Who knows the ETA?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

at&t doesnt share future services with the public or front line employees.

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

2 years ago

Check with local government concerning permit requests.

Planning to Activation can be (2) years.

The company is committed to add (3) million residential fiber per year till at least end of 2025. This would be an additional 12+ million to the existing 17.5 million current fiber addresses.

By start of 2026 50% (30 million) will be fiber from estimated 60 million hardwired addresses.

Note that 3 million per year is 5% of hardwired addresses added each year. 

(edited)

Observer

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

If the permits were pulled that would be a first definitive step.  I have two choices for non-satellite broadband, Spectrum and AT&T.  The slowest Spectrum offer is 200mb (while I have gigabit) which is 8x faster than the fastest thing AT&T.  That factual statistic does not bode well for AT&T.  I was hoping after 2 years I would hear something, anything. At least, you have your policies to hide behind, unless someone can tell me who made the policy. I wish I had the $10,000 that AT&T seems to be charging to get it installed:

Man, 90, Takes Out $10,000 WSJ Ad To Complain About AT&T Internet Speed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/man-90-wsj-ad-complain-att-internet-speed-1569368%3Famp%3D1

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

2 years ago

@ericgoldman 

AT&T didn't charge $10,000. The individual spent $10,000 on an advertisement which stirred up a PR nightmare for them.

Unfortunately, AT&T isn't required to provide internet to anyone. So, their fiber rollout to new areas, or upgrading existing ones, is all up to their decisions as a business.

I do hope that with the increased usage on the residential network for working from home, schooling, and generally just being home more since the pandemic that all internet service providers (ISPs) and the government are taking a hard look at the infrastructure nationwide. No longer should the absolute max speed (1, 2, or even 10Gbps) be the priority but increasing the baseline, reaching more people (rural, low population density), and ensuring it is stable.

Observer

• 

7 Messages

6 months ago

Yes

the customer paid $10k to the newspapers, not AT&T.  At the end of the day, it cost $10k.  I would not care who I paid $x to get it and if he did not pay the newspapers $10k, he would not have gotten service.  

The real issue is that someone at AT&T knows whether permits have been pulled or are planning to pull them.  It is not like permits get pulled by themselves.  After years, we cannot see if it is even closed to being truly planned or not.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

6 months ago

We are customers here just like yourself. This forum is not AT&T Support so no one here has that kind of information. And even if someone from AT&T responds, they don't know or can share one way or another.

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

6 months ago

There is two years left of the current 10 year fiber expansion to reach 30+ million addresses (50% of hardwired footprint). With 24 million addresses already available ATT will add another 6 million out of the estimated 36 million addresses eligible within footprint. 

ATT recent company statement is 75% of footprint will have fiber service by end 2025 either as direct fiber (the 30 million+) or fiber to the cell tower using 4G LTE or 5G. A recent new product has been released called ATT AIR which is using the fiber to the cell tower. You may want to see if your address qualifies either now or within next two years.

https://www.att.com/internet/internet-air/

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

6 months ago

@ericgoldman 

All that information is kept private to the company. My previous statement stands. As much as we want better internet, or internet at all for some, AT&T has absolutely no obligation to provide it or disclose what their build plan is. That person is a unique scenario where he threw money to throw mud on them as public as he could. Some people just have money and time to burn so they don't care.

(rare for a discussion to continue exactly where it left off almost 2 years ago)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.