Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
1mNotkey's profile

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, May 9th, 2024 11:57 AM

Testing Different Things.

So the details. I have the Fiber package with 2gig up and down. I play two online games Rainbow Six Siege on my PS5, and Overwatch 2 on my PC. I have the BGW320-505 modem/router. I have started to tweak some settings with my modem such as IP Passthrough for my console and other things. I recently started watching a couple of video's about MTU speed. my MTU speed came out to 1460 with the ping test 1432+28. I also tried out lowering my PS5 MTU to 1450 like a couple of youtube video's recommended and I noticed that my ping would go as low as 13ms but jump up to 32ms at random times and fluctuate in between. I noticed that when my PS5 is set to 1500 I have a stable 32ms in game My connections are hardwired.

So basically I have 3 questions that I would like an answer for.

1. Should I use 1460 for my router's MTU or use the Default 1500?

2. Should my PS5 MTU be set to my Router/Modem or should I set it to 1450?

3. What would be the best options to improve my latency. Should I buy my own Modem or change more settings?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

11 days ago

You should not be trying to tweak your MTU for speed.  That is not its purpose.  I would suggest unsubscribing from any video creator making such suggestions. 

The answer to all your questions is to leave the MTU at its default.

You cannot buy your own modem.  The option for lowering your latency include:

moving closer to the place you want low latency to.

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

11 days ago

I mean if it’s on YouTube bro it must be real, right?  😜

• 

7 Messages

11 days ago

Its not like I believe everything that I watch. I tested it out on my PS5 with the default 1500 MTU as of few minutes ago was a solid 20ms in menu and 32ms in game. After changing my MTU to 1450 my ping went to 14 in the menu and bounced around in game from 13ms to 21ms in game. what could cause this?

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

11 days ago

Different traffic conditions cause different latency.  Routes and Routers get busy from minute to minute.  Game servers get busy.  Lowering your MTU can cause your system to have to fragment messages, which means higher effective latency as you wait on two messages to be sent instead of one.  So do not play with your MTU.

13 to 21ms is stellar latency.  If you want better than that, LAN game.

I should have mentioned earlier that you cannot buy your own modem, but you can insert a router between your network and your Gateway.  However, that will likely not improve latency.

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

11 days ago

Back in ancient times I do recall messing with MTU, but things were also less mature back then as well.  It's a rabbit hole I'd stay away from.

As for latency, many of us would like near zero, but I've yet to see any verifiable changes that make a positive impact including VPN.  I haven't given up testing yet, but it does appear there are "Laws of physics" that limit what can be done by end users.  

As an example, my VDSL2 connection best ping to any server is 20ms.  If I test to a specific endpoint such as an AWS cluster in Virginia, the best latency is 46ms.  This is the reality I have to deal with. 

You may also have noted the current FCC regime is working hard to reinstate net neutrality just as some ISPs were getting ready to start launching paid subscription for fast lanes targeted at gamers. 

• 

7 Messages

11 days ago

I have my router/Modem MTU set to 1500 like default. I have changed my PS5 MTU settings to 1450 and it's been pretty constant with 14 ping while playing R6 where it was 32 ping with 1500. 

So maybe fragmenting the packets from my PS5 is helping it maybe. I intend to keep an eye on it for a couple of days

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

11 days ago

Lowering MTU should only help when there is a link between you and the server with an max payload size lower than your original MTU.  In IPv4 this causes dynamic packet fragmentation (and in IPv6, dropped packets).  In today's network, the only thing that should cause a limitation on message size below 1500 is a tunnel (e.g. VPN, 6in4, etc.).  So, if you're using a VPN service then you should lower MTU as recommended by the VPN service, but otherwise I stick with my admonition to not play with the MTU.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.