For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
D

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, March 2nd, 2024 8:29 PM

Proper settings for IP Passthrough on Arris BGW210-700 with router (DD-Wrt) behind router (BGW210-700) configuration?

I am connected to the ATnT Fiber Internet using my Arris BGW210-700 router. Behind that router I have a DD-Wrt router, that all of my LAN devices connect to. So essentially, as of now, I have a double nat router behind router configuration. I am trying to set up IP Passthrough on the Arris BGW210-700 Router so that it properly forwards my public IP address and all ports to my DD-Wrt router, letting my DD-Wrt Router do all of the firewalling and security. The problem is, in the ATnT Arris router, under "Firewall> IP Passthrough" there is a setting for "Allocation Mode" with the options being "Default Server" or "Passthrough". I don't understand what both of these options mean and what they do different from one another, and I don't understand which option I should be selecting in my circumstance. If someone could please explain how exactly I can set up IP Passthrough, which options I should select, and exactly how to configure it in the Arris BGW210-700 web interface, it would be greatly appreciated! Please also include an explanation of what "Default Server" and "Passthrough" mode means, and the differences between them. Lastly, please include other settings I should select based on if I should choose "Default Server" or "Passthrough" Mode in the web interface. 

Thank you for any and all information!

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

2 months ago

Steps to turn on ip passthrough. 

http://www.devonstephens.com/how-to-enable-ip-passthrough-on-att-bgw320-505/

You may think you have double nat, but you don’t. 

turn off the gateway firewall, packet filters and WiFi. 

restart your router after setting ip passthrough. Confirm it has the same ip address as the gateway. 

Default server means you are using the gateway as the router. Ip passthrough means you are using the gateway as a modem. 

(edited)

• 

10 Messages

2 months ago

"Default server means you are using the gateway as the router. Ip passthrough means you are using the gateway as a modem. "

When you refer to the "gateway", does that mean the ATnT modem/wifi-router that ATnT provides to the customer?  Is that the "gateway"?

Whats the difference between using your gateway/atnt-router as the router vs using your gateway/atnt- router as a modem? I'm assuming for my intents and purposes, that I want to us IP Passthrough then? Is that correct?

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

2 months ago

The gateways is the Att equipment required to get service. You must use it to get internet service. When set up the gateway in ip passthrough, it is acting as a modem. The router connected to the gateway will handle all router functions.  

the gateway when used as a router has limited functions. No parental controls, no QOS functions, etc. It’s a very basic device for people who just need internet services and no advanced networking needs. 

• 

10 Messages

2 months ago

I followed your posted steps to turn in IP Passthrough, but my DD-WRT router is still getting a private IP 192.168.xxx.xxx from the Arris BGW210 Atnt Router. After configuring IP Passthough, I restart both routers just to be sure. Any other suggestions here?

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

2 months ago

Are you connecting the gateway to the wan port of the dd-wrt router?

What brand and model router is it? How old is the router?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

2 months ago

To be a little more specific:

Default Server essentially sets Port Forwarding up for all ports to the single device specified.  The Gateway still performs NAT for the traffic, and the Default Server is therefore expected not to be a router, but some sort of server.

IP Passthrough still forwards all unsolicited traffic to the specified device, but it also passes the WAN IP through upon a DHCP request, doesn't perform NAT on that traffic (because the device has already done NAT on it).  

Either way the Gateway is still a routing hop and will show up on traceroutes, but with IP Passthrough properly working, it isn't doing double NAT.

If your router's WAN IP isn't switching to the Gateway's, that means that either (a) you've got the MAC address wrong, (b) the DHCP lifetime is too long and your router is thinking it doesn't have to renew yet, so it's not asking to and being told it needs to change to it, or (c) the router isn't processing the new assignment.  Usually unplugging it for 5-10 minutes gets the job done (because the default DHCP lifetime is 10 minutes).

• 

10 Messages

11 days ago

Sorry for the late reply @browndk26 . I didn't really have the time to work on this, so I just forwarded all of my ports to the router and that temporarily suffices. Anyways, Yes, I am connecting the Gateway to the Wan port of the dd-wrt router. The router is a Linksys WRT3200ACM. It's only a few years old and it shouldn't be out of date or anything. Its still a beast of a router. The ATnT gateway is an Arris BGW210. 

After browsing the ATT Gateways settings a bit more, I discovered an option for a "Cascaded Router". Could that have anything to do with my router not gaining my public IP address from the gateway?

Screenshot below:

Also, notice on this status page, the ATnT gatway shows the IP Passthrough Status as "On (public IP address)" and below that is the correct address of my public IP next to "IP Passthrough Address". However my DDWRT modem isn't showing that public IP address, but instead showing it's local IP address that it gets from the Gateway.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

11 days ago

1) No, the Cascaded Router only applies if you're renting a block of Public Static IPv4 addresses from AT&T.  It doesn't affect your Public Dynamic IPv4 address' handling.

2) IP Passthrough status of on, means its configured on the Gateway.  It does not mean that the target device has retrieved the IP.  Until it does, it will not work properly.  You need for your router to request a new IPv4 via DHCP and the Gateway to respond with it, so:

(a) make sure you didn't turn off the DHCP daemon (DHCP Server / DHCP Server Enable) on the Home Network > Subnets & DHCP tab.

(b) turn off your router for at least half of the DHCP Lease time on that same page.

(c) if it doesn't obtain the Public IPv4 after that, you can try (b) once more.

(d) if it still doesn't obtain the Public IPv4, switch your router to manual IPv4 address assignment, save that, then put it back in automatic/DHCP and save.  That should force it to request a new IPv4.

(e) if that doesn't do it, you may have to go for manual.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.