Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
E

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, September 13th, 2020 9:34 PM

New AT&T BGW210-700 router/gateway - with Gigabit ethernet to house, but only 95 Mbs out of ethernet ports?

I have 1 Gigabit AT&T fiber to my house. Confirmed it is uploading and downloading to theBGW210-700 gateway at that speed. But speedtest connecting my laptop via ethernet cable to back to router ethernet jack is only 95 Mbs. I'm using a CAT6 brand new cable to connect to the laptop. My other desktop is getting the same speed off another ethernet port. How do I fix?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

4 years ago

You need all eight for gigabit otherwise you get 100Mbps max, which explains your wired speed tests.

It looks like they stole the other four wires for other jacks so I don't know what would happen if you clipped all of those so you could put all eight wires of that cable into the jack.  You'd break something, but I can't tell if it's something you still use or not.

Of course you'd have to do the same at the other end of that cable.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

4 years ago

What are the makes and model #'s of the laptops.  Hard as it is to believe, many brand new laptops come with 100Mbps Ethernet ports, not 1000Mbps (presuming they even have an Ethernet port!).

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I checked using Network & Internet in Windows 10 and its 1000 Mbps upload and download with maximum of 1500 Mbps. so I don't think this is a hardware constraint on the computer itself. Any other ideas?

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

4 years ago

Make and model #'s?

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I'm having the exact same issue.  Speed test using ethernet cat 7 cable is only 115mbps.  When I run it off wi-fi it's much higher?  I don't understand.  My laptop did not have an ethernet port, had to buy an adapter.  Bought laptop last year, Lenovo IdeaPad.

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

One desktop machine is a Dell Optiplex 3050. It has a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

The other machine is an hp laptop, elitebook.

I did test one of the ports using a cat 5e cable and usb-c connected into an ipad pro and the speed coming out of one port was 600+ Mbs upload/900 Mbps download, and when connecting the desktop to same port via a longer cable running through the house, it was sub 95 Mbs upload and download, so I'm wondering if the issue is cabling to the desktop?

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

And testing hp laptop using same ethernet port, using the AT&T speedtest, the download speed is 60Mbps, and upload is 95 Mbps (laptop has a Realtek USB GbE Family Controller #3). Testing with same ethernet port and cable on ipad pro and the download is 369 Mbps and upload is 571 Mbps.  this is using a shorter cable than to the desktop whose cable runs through the attic. so maybe some combo of cable and firewall protection on the laptop?

Scholar

• 

3.9K Messages

4 years ago

Hey @eb1of9,

And testing hp laptop using same ethernet port, using the AT&T speedtest, the download speed is 60Mbps, and upload is 95 Mbps (laptop has a Realtek USB GbE Family Controller #3). Testing with same ethernet port and cable on ipad pro and the download is 369 Mbps and upload is 571 Mbps.  this is using a shorter cable than to the desktop whose cable runs through the attic. so maybe some combo of cable and firewall protection on the laptop?

It would appear that your laptop is not negotiating a Gigabit connection using the USB Controller. What is the actual model of the laptop so we can verify the USB speeds? The RealTec is not stellar due to poor drivers. Also do you have any

The iPad Pro using a USB connector is about right. Note: you should not expect above 900/900 for any of your devices based on what you have posted. For the PC located across the house it looks like it is locked at Ethernet 100. Since both download / upload speeds are sub 100. Do you know how to check the Network / Internet settings to see what speed is set or could you try the iPad Pro and the USB-c at the far end of that long cable run? It might not be capable of a 1 G connection from an incorrectly terminated cable or an older Cat5 cable. Another thing to check on your Dell is if the SmartByte application on to your PC. You should remove it and restart your Dell.

Dave

• 

42 Messages

4 years ago

I saw some squirrely issues on my RG when I first got connected up. Try setting the speed/duplex to 1Gig/Full as a test and see if that helps. Leave your laptop NIC settings to AUTO and see if it connects up after making the change. If so, re-run your tests and see if your speeds improve. What are your speedtest results on the RG itself? 

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Dave006, I didnt see the end of your question, but in the meantime, I used a cat tester and I think there is a faulty cable connection somewhere between the AT&T router and my desktop computer. I've confirmed as the lights on the tester skip.  Does anyone have a video link or otherwise to share so that I can figure out where along the cable is the fault? Is it at the cable termination to the wall plate, or somewhere else along the line?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.