Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Cuse165's profile

3 Messages

Wednesday, May 1st, 2024 6:55 PM

How/can you change the DNS

I just got AT&T Fiber Internet they installed the Humax BGW320-500 Gatway. I was looking under advanced settings and setup. I did not find anywhere to change the DNS to one of your own. Can the default DNS be changed in this gateway? Can you even change the DNS when using fiber. I could not find a way with this gateway/router. But if I use a router instead of the gateway/router I am able to change the DNS. So why can't you change it using the gateway AT&T gave me and installed. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

17 days ago

You cannot, either change the DNS on your individual devices or place your own equipment behind that has the desired feature.

While the BGW 320 has a built in ONT, and (1) multi port Ethernet with Wi-Fi 6 as well as 5Ghz n/ac and 2.4Ghz b/g/n the general capabilities are the same as all Uverse gateways for past 15 years, no UPNP or changeable DNS.

Tutor

• 

24 Messages

17 days ago

This is (Edited per community guidelines) a lot right now because AT&T's DNS has been something like 50% timeouts for a week now.

(edited)

Scholar

• 

3.9K Messages

17 days ago

@KevinMcMurtrie 

No problems here. How are you determining these high timeouts? I hope it not by pings since the pings are just ICMP junk traffic that the AnyCast AT&T DNS servers.

Very easy to test: just set one of your Client devices use the AT&T DNS servers and report if they actually timeout with normal DNS traffic.

Dave

Tutor

• 

24 Messages

17 days ago

I'm literally getting constant DNS timeout errors reported for 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1.

1 Message

3 days ago

My understanding is that I need to place a router that I can change DNS behind my AT&T router to be able  to use my preferred DNS.

Could someone provide a recommendation for a router and what setting the AT&T router as well as the other router should have?

I've been having issues with the AT&T DNS...

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

3 days ago

IP Passthrough needs to be correctly configured in the gateway to use a personal router.   Do your research on this for something that suits your needs.  

I've done some comparison testing of my own to see if there is any merit of one DNS vs another, including use of a VPN.  I’ve yet to see any noticeable differences.

A question was asked above how these DNS concerns are being observed.  An example of an invalid method was stated.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.