Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
L

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, May 29th, 2021 9:58 PM

can wifi be disabled with ATT fiber?

I have Cox. have had nothing but problems with them for 14 months. modem switches 5 times b/c of bad equipment, half the techs on the phone can do nothing, and half the techs in person know nothing.  All of them are very nice. It's the company.  They now are attempting to triple charge me a deposit for the same modem (that isn't working, btw).  So ATT fiber is new in my area and having a great special.  I am EMF sensitive.  1. Am I able to disable the wifi signals and use it thru just the cable?   and will a normal CAT 7 cable connect to a fiber gateway?   2.  How happy are you with ATT service? customer oriented, or is it as terrible as Cox...who has had a monopoly in my neighborhood for so long they don't care about their policies...because they believe you are stuck with them.

(no, i'd cancel my internet before continuing with them).

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

Take Cox out of your first sentence and replace it with AT&T, Comcast, Frontier or most any of the major ISPs and it would still be accurate.  Customer service is considered a business expense and not a way to help build customer loyalty by providing the best experience.  Therefore, they spend the least amount of money they can and you get lousy, uninterested and uninformed "help".

Yes, you can disable the wifi on the AT&T gateway and use the four Ethernet ports (or add a switch if you need more than four) for wired connections.  CAT5e is plenty sufficient for this usage as long as the cables don't get super long (~300').

I love my AT&T Fiber and wish my friends and family could get it, despite what I said in the first paragraph.  Most of that is because I've been lucky to have nearly uninterrupted service in the nearly two years I've had it.  I might say something different if I'd had issues, but then again that wouldn't be any different had I stayed with Comcast.

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks Tony. Yes, I figured Cox was synonymous with all the rest :-).   I've been lucky, most of the people are very nice and try to help. It is the system, policies, actual quality of internet service that is poor...often their hands are tied if their system won't let them adjust something.  Their website isn't user friendly...I am no dummy, but every time I log in, it takes me forever to find what I want because it's not intuitive and it's constantly changing..(they are intentionally obscuring the ways to obtain a human and try to automate everything..but their automatons are only as good as their programming.  Which is on par with the rest of Cox haha)...Have put up with the headache for awhile because I didn't want to exchange one headache for another while working from home...they cost me so much lost work time  already. 

But now, I'm back at my worksite, they doubled my bill and triple charged me on a deposit, and won't turn on my service until I pay it, because the system shows that haven't paid (when I have).

Ready to cut my losses and call ATT but wanted to make sure, at least, I can disable wifi.

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate it.

Dina

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

and this site won't let me "like" your answer haha.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

Thanks, Dina, it looks like it did record a Like.

As with any of these services it is a roll of the dice sometimes and sometimes you roll a 7 and sometimes it's snake eyes.

Good luck!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.