Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
striker55's profile

3 Messages

Saturday, April 27th, 2024 3:46 PM

BGW320-505 5 GHz channel

I have a WiFi app that scans channels and recommends a better channel. In router settings I can scan for a better channel. The channel that was recommended by the app shows in the router scan. I saved the settings. Now a few days later I see the channel has changed when using the WiFi app. Go back into router settings, scan for a better channel and save settings. Is there a way to prevent the router from changing channels?

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

433 Messages

21 days ago

Not a complete answer, but for certain channels, no.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_frequency_selection

Different 5 GHz channels may have different limits. One of these limits is that, while operating on ceftain frequencies (e.g., 5470–5725 MHz), they must switch to another channel if the device detects certain other uses of the band (e.g., military radar, satellite communication or weather radar). This is known as dynamic frequency selection (DFS) and the checking is called Channel Availability Check (CAC).

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

21 days ago

These gateways typically have both an automatic and manual mode for channel selection.  

In case you’re interested in managing these settings to prevent dropouts, buffering, or other connectivity issues, I’m afraid you’re wasting your time.  The only real solution presently is to get a personal WiFi system to replace what’s in these gateways.  

3 Messages

21 days ago

I guess I'll have to live with it. Thanks for your responses.

Tutor

• 

433 Messages

21 days ago

Did you actually turn off Automatic Channel selection (e.g., Home Network - Wi-Fi Tab, Advanced Options link, 5 GHz Wi-Fi Configuration section, Channel option) to prevent it from selecting an automatic channel dynamically?

Not sure why you would want a fixed channel as the best channel will vary over time, which is what the Automatic feature is designed to take care of.

3 Messages

21 days ago

Can't turn off automatic channel selection. The reason for wanting a specific channel is that when I scan my smart TV for channel strength it recommends channel 36. I have a Google operating system on the TV and watching a streaming show it will freeze up. I thought since it recommends channel 36 it wouldn't freeze. Probably a problem with the TV. Other streaming channels work fine.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.