For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
D

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, February 3rd, 2022 12:21 AM

Best Ethernet Cable

I just upgraded to the Fiber- Internet 2000.  I have two computers and one SmartTV wired to my BGW320 gateway.  I want the maximum speeds possible.  Used Cat 6 to my  4 year old Samsung TV (about a 45 foot run).  Should  I replace that with a new Cat 7 or maybe Cat 8?  What about the Computers?  (Those runs are much shorter and I use Hymeca Cat 7 patch Cords for those. ) 

Is Cat 8 better than Cat 7?  Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

2 years ago

@dradamas Being as your run is in-wall, I'd suggest using solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6, non-CCA/CCS (not CAT6 ethernet patch) cable and terminate with punchdown keystone jacks. From there you can run CAT-6 ethernet cable to your devices. Running your cabling inside a flexible conduit (non-metal) with a pull string would also be a good idea because that makes installing and/or upgrading your cable so much easier and you can control bend radius better.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

2 years ago

For home use anything over CAT6 is overkill. I can't really even see the need for it as CAT5 will handle all in house needs. Most of those pushing CAT6 and above are the IT types and its mostly just hype. Someone would have to prove to me with actual test equipment that CAT6 is better than CAT5 for home use. When CAT6 was developed it was intended for backbone terminations between servers, not to PC's and gaming equipment. As far as backbones go if you need more than CAT6, or think you do, use fiber. You really think that piece of CAT6 between your modem and your gaming equipment is going to make a difference? Let's see the proof and the test that were done to prove it. Yes, test set to test set CAT6 will give better results, that doesn't mean it's going to improve your gaming experience. Now that CAT6 is priced close to CAT5e they had to come up with CAT8 to take your money. CAT7 never made it in the real world. OK off my soap box now. Post I was addressing was removed. 

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

2 years ago

If desire best speed possible, look at upgrading your devices.

I doubt a 4 year old tv supports internet 2000, and most likely neither does the pcs.

Cat6A supports up to 10000, 5 times faster than your speed tier. 

However the 320 gateway only has (1) Ethernet port supporting the speed.

The (3) yellow ports only support internet 1000.

Thus for best hardwired speed on device need to purchase a switch capable of say 5000 or better, then upgrade your devices to also support at least 5000. 

Otherwise why spend the money upgrading wiring?

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the insights!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

2 years ago

CAT7 is an overkill and not necessary, for any of the cables. Just stick with CAT6. Is the 45' run along the floor or is it in-wall?

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the response!

Well looking on Amazon for Ethernet cables... choices are overwhelming and of course you never know if the reviews are bogus... Not sure what to get.  But it sounds like I'm good at least until I upgrade my end user hardware (PCs and TV).  

The 45' run is in the wall and subfloor.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Otto,

Thanks for the info.

Where could I find someone with the expertise to install the proper cable for me?

Thanks again!

jp

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

2 years ago

@dradamas I hired an electrician who had experience in LV wiring. I had him install the cabling and had him leave a generous service loop at each end and I terminated it myself.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

1 month ago

Compared to Cat 6 or Cat 7, switching to Cat 8 cables may not greatly increase your speeds for your configuration. Compared to your 45-foot run to the TV, Cat 8 cables offer better bandwidth and faster speeds over shorter distances, usually up to 30 metres.

Your PCs should be able to run smoothly and be shielded from interference with Cat 7 connections. Cat 8 cables, however, can be a wise investment if you want to future-proof your setup or if you want to upgrade to even faster internet connections in the future.

Ultimately, things other than your cables—like the functionality of your devices and the service provided by your ISP—also affect how fast you can access the internet. Therefore, even though changing your connections might yield little benefits, you should take your setup's constraints and overall architecture into account.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.