Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
elliotweitzman's profile

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 10th, 2023 12:50 AM

5G port on BGW320-500 receives DNS timeouts

I just upgraded to AT&T Fiber 300 Internet from DSL 50. They replaced my BGW210-700 router which always worked fine with a BGW320-500 router.

The router has a Blue Port which is 5G. I asked the AT&T guy who installed it if I could connect any device with a 1G ethernet adapter to it and he said sure, that it would negotiate the speed down to 1G. I connected my Windows 10 desktop to it and have been having lots of very weird problems for over the past 2 days. Things like cameras not working well with live view but recording fine, timeouts when I boot my desktop to Linux, Synology DSM backup client not working etc. I was able to browse the internet fine, but every once in a while, there would be a weird problem or slowdown. I have 3 other switches connected to the BGW320-500 (TP Link 16 port switch and 2 TP Link 5 port POE switches for cameras). My entire setup worked fine before the fiber upgrade.

I was finally able to determine that the problem was related to DNS timeouts on my Desktop. I could see it repeatedly in a command window doing nslookup commands. The address of the DNS server was IPv6 Prefix::1 (i.e. 2600:xxxx:yyyy:zzzz::1). Now my device is connected directly to the router and the DNS server is running on the router - yet it gets a 2 second timeout one or 2 times before it resolves the hostname. 

I switched my device to a port on the TP link switch and all the problems went away. DNS lookups were fast. Live view on the cameras worked fine etc.

Is there a problem with the 5G port on the BGW320-500 ?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

1 year ago

Typically Ethernet Switches are very compatible with a wide range of other gear (it is, after all, their primary function) whereas ports on Computers  --and apparently also AT&T Gateways-- aren't always as widely compatible.  There have been issues in the past where a Western Digital NAS wouldn't connect directly to a particular model of AT&T Gateway, but worked fine when connected to a switch which was connected to the Gateway.  There is also a certain very popular (i.e. used in a lot of PCs) Intel Ethernet Chipset that has issues with more than just AT&T's Gateway.  There is a firmware/driver fix for those issues, however.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

1 year ago

Yes.  The light blue LAN 1 port doesn't always negotiate properly with other devices.  Unless you need it for its ability to negotiate more than 1 Gbps connections, avoid using it, or -- as you have -- connect to port 1 through an Ethernet switch.

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks for the info. Actually, I have nothing connected to the light blue LAN 1 port on the BGW320-500 router right now. I connected my desktop to one of my switches that was already connected to port 4 (1 Gbps) on the router. But I have run out of switch ports and do want to connect another switch (like tplink or linksys) to LAN 1 port as LAN 2, 3, 4 ports already have switches connected. Do you think that connecting a 1 Gbps switch to LAN 1 port on the BGW320-500 router will be ok and not have the same issues as my desktop device? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.