Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
kp_rr_tx's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, May 10th, 2015 1:50 PM

4K / UHD programming

We recently replaced a TV with a 4K/UHD set and I'm wondering if there's any plans for 4K / UHD programming from AT&T, at least for Gigapower customers. Comcast Xfinity has committed to this and has a 4K STB coming soon. I'd like to get something better then compressed 1080, and ideally have the option for 4K. With a gigabit connection and fiber to the house it's certainly possible. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@kp_rr_tx wrote:

We recently replaced a TV with a 4K/UHD set and I'm wondering if there's any plans for 4K / UHD programming from AT&T, at least for Gigapower customers. Comcast Xfinity has committed to this and has a 4K STB coming soon. I'd like to get something better then compressed 1080, and ideally have the option for 4K. With a gigabit connection and fiber to the house it's certainly possible. 

Who knows what ATT is or is not doing about 4K. 

After reading a review of a 4K HD set against a regular HD set, only time they could see a difference was from 2' away, normal viewing distances no difference (PC Mag), I'm not buying one anytime soon.

I have great HD PQ on my Panasonic plasma now and expect it in the future. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

9 years ago

Even the SD quality I get when I have to watch a 4th stream in SD is better than the SD stream I used to get with TWC.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I'm hoping an AT&T employee will chime in on this topic.

Gut response from most is "it will be cold day", yet streaming and even other IPTV providers are now starting to provide 4K/UHD programming.

Obviously I'm an early adopter on this. Regardless of the product, technology, etc, there's often early reviews that say, "you can't tell the difference, no need for this, blah, blah, blah". It's called progress; in a few years these conversations won't be happening. I read a ton of reviews and did a lot of shopping around. Considering the price difference for the future proofing I think I made the best choice in my case, YMMV. 

Owning a 4K TV I can say that I can tell the difference. I've downloaded demo videos filmed in 4K without compression and the picture looks like real life. I had a top Sony XBR set and comparing 1080 to my new set is night and day. Just using upconversion I have the best 1080 picture I've ever seen. Many major movies are already filmed in 4K, 8K, or IMAX and down converted - the content is there but not being broadcast, yet. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

9 years ago

No, no AT&T employee is going to chime on this thread to discuss AT&T's plans for 4K.

U-verse had a 3D tier for a year or two.  Only one channel.  That tier is history, there was insufficient content and too few subscribers.  I expect that to be the state for 4K for the forseeable future.  And until the majority of U-verse subscribers have connections with bandwidth capable of actually carrying this (not just the tiny minority that are Gigapower subscribers), there's not going to be a viable carriage agreement when content really becomes available.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

How long I'll have to wait for UHD? 4k is here HD is old technology!!! Hurry up ATT!!??? Just got a new 60' UHD Samsung TV and nothing on Uverse in 4k Nothing!!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

8 years ago

@DannyMiami wrote:
How long I'll have to wait for UHD? 4k is here HD is old technology!!! Hurry up ATT!!??? Just got a new 60' UHD Samsung TV and nothing on Uverse in 4k Nothing!!!!

And there's very little content on any other TV provider.  DIRECTV?  one or two movies at a time that only work on a very small number of approved TV sets.  Dish wrote a post about 4K technology on their blog this summer, and another in November.  They have 4K equipment... but NO CONTENT.

Sorry you jumped the gun on buying into the 4K hype.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

8 years ago

@DannyMiami wrote:

Somebody got a Black Friday deal! 

I'm still waiting for Sony BetaMax to catch on.  (<-- Who's old enough to remember that?)

Guru

• 

506 Messages

8 years ago

Good luck when 90% of the people have only fiber to the node and cat5 or coax to the residence. You'd be lucky to get one or two streams.

Can't wait to ATT rolls fiber to all residences. Huge investment I realize but they need to do it to keep up with the Jonses'.

Plus, their main focus is on Direct TV now.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

This forum is disappointing; few responses from AT&T. I intentionally posted under GigaPower as that is what I have, and it is a gigabit F2P service - which is MORE than capable of delivering multiple 4K streams.

I feel for those who are stuck with ADSL, that's a shame, but off topic. Telling early adopters they made the wrong choice with 4K is just an opinion - but this is happening - 360, 480, 720, 1080, 4K. And if you've missed it there's a lot of 4K deals right now, so maybe that should be your next TV. Many shows and movies are filmed in 4K or 8K and downscaled to deliver in 1080. DirectTV (yes, recently acquired by AT&T) has committed to live 4K programming. It's been six months since my original post and no comment from AT&T. Give your market another reason to jump to GigaPower as the roll out continues - add options for 4K programming. You could be better than the competition, yet they are ahead of you.

How about a response from AT&T?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

8 years ago

@kp_rr_tx wrote:

How about a response from AT&T?

Not gonna happen.  Until they have a press release to make, they will say nothing.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.