Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
sdzinda's profile

3 Messages

Saturday, April 27th, 2024 7:56 PM

Random Intermittent Disconnects with ATT Fiber

I have the 2gbps fiber plan. I had it at my old home and just moved into my new home and had the same service established. It had worked flawlessly for the first month or so in the new home, and I never had issues with AT&T fiber in my old home. However, the past week or so I have been getting random disconnects of service that last roughly 10 seconds. It is not noticeable doing things like streaming TV, but it causes me to disconnect from any PC game i am playing and causes my work VPN to disconnect/freeze up. I'm connected directly into the modem via Ethernet and my speed tests routinely show 2gbps+ up and down. When I look at the log in the modem, it shows a lot of "Generic Discards," "Invalid IP Packet" and sometimes "DOS Attack." I've called AT&T support several times and they have been completely unhelpful, asking me to do useless things like plug my modem directly into the wall outlet (rather than my surge protector). I've also completely reset the modem, which has not helped either. Any help would be appreciated.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

20 days ago

When you see a disconnect, does your PC loose the Ethernet connection to the Gateway, or is your Gateway losing its connection to the Internet?  (I.e. does Windows show the adapter itself off line?) 

Are there lights blinking on the Gateway (and/or ONT if you have one)?

When this occurs, can you get to https://192.168.1.254/ ?

(The log entries are probably not meaningful unless they're timed stamped exactly when the issue is occurring.)

(edited)

3 Messages

20 days ago

The PC does not lose the Ethernet connection to the gateway. I don't know what the modem looks like when this happens, as the modem is in a central networking room in the house that all of the home Ethernet is distributed from. However, the log is time stamped it just doesn't show up in the picture I took. I get the same errors every time the disconnect occurs. I've also cleared the log and then immediately looked at the log when the disconnect happens to confirm that the "General Discards" and "Other DOS Attack" are what corresponds to the disconnect. 

The disconnection only lasts for like 5-6 seconds, but it's enough to cause my games to kick me out and my VPN network to disconnect. I don't think this issue would be noticeable just surfing the web, because it's such a short loss of connection.

I have some of the logs saved in HTML format, which I can try to upload. 

1 Message

19 days ago

Just had it installed and having the same issue.   Installed this last Thursday and it’s been out more times than on.  I’ve reset the modem 2 dozen times in the last two days.    So far, this is seeming like a mistake move.  Have a technician coming out tomorrow to look at it, hopefully the modem is the problem.    This is ridiculous 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

18 days ago

Surge protector strips are useless for the gateway.  Do what Att says before the tech arrives to avoid unnecessary distractions.  If you want to do yourself a favor, put the gateway on battery backup. 

Do you have any other home network equipment connected to the gateway?  Att isn't obligated to troubleshoot any of that, but rather to ensure service up to and including the gateway is working correctly. 

@Ratboy1974 Open your own thread if you need help the forum can provide. 

3 Messages

18 days ago

As an update, when I wiggle my Ethernet connection into the back of my PC i lose Internet very briefly. If I do the same thing at the Ethernet connection in the wall the same does not occur, so it seems this may be a faulty cable or faulty Ethernet port on my motherboard. I've ordered a new cable and will see if that fixes the issue. 

4 Messages

18 days ago

any update?

ACE - Expert

• 

18K Messages

18 days ago

This isn't a chat room, it's a message board/forum. You post a message, and then someone may or may not post a reply. There is no point in continuuing to post "reminder" messages.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

18 days ago

Above and beyond that, aboli_slk2's first post was "any update?" which is a strange first post.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.