Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get the myAT&T app
ridgekarma's profile

Teacher

• 

37 Messages

Sunday, September 23rd, 2018 8:00 PM

Why throttle?

So this is a question that can be speculated on by non-ATT employees/authorities on the topic and that is OK, but I hope to hear an 'official' answer from an ATT person....All carriers want to 'squelch' your data speed after you reach a certain threshold of use month to month....this imo, negates the authenticity of ever calling a plan truly unlimited, although some may argue and that can be a different thread...I'm more interested in WHY throttling by ANY carrier needs to ever occur......Whenever I or anyone else with said carrier is utilizing their capacity...be it on the phone, as a hotspot or their home/business internet service, when they go  right up to the threshold of the throttling , at any given time, there is massive amounts of traffic across the countries backbone ALREADY, minute to minute, so the idea of limiting traffic doesn't really hold water...so what is the need to slow people down?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

6 years ago

I will speak only on ATT policy on the unlimited plans:

1.  The policy is stated in the plan information.

2.   Att current unlimited plans do not throttle except for the included hotspot.  The plans are reprioritized after 22 gigs.  

3.   Why? Because data is not an unlimited resource.  In areas with little congestion customers are rarely reprioritized and easily use well past 22 gigs with little or no slow down.   

Not unlikely going to a pot luck supper where everyone is asked to wait for all to have first servings before going back for a second.  

4.  Home/business internet is not managed in the same way that cellular services are.  Caps are much higher and in areas where there are no caps, there are no changes to data speeds.  

5.  as to your last point, say what now?   Your basically saying the network is already overloaded, so why not just see if we can overloascit more?   Yeah...logic I can’t get behind there.  🤨

Things will change when 5G becomes the standard.  Until then, the US internet would look like this if it had physical form...

D0E8085A-ACD7-4B97-9776-22D24079CE03.jpeg

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

37 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you. ....Can we get an official response from an ATT policy setter?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

First of all, you will likely not get an “official” answer from ATT. Even if you get a response from an ATT employee, it is there personal opinion. However, the answer is simple. The network is a shared resource and only has so much capacity. That capacity must be managed. On top of that, none of the carriers “throttle” their unlimited users, they reprioritize. There is a big difference. Bottom line it is nothing more than managing the network to ensure all users get their fair share. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

6 years ago

@ridgekarma

I can say with a good degree of certainty:  The only response from ATTCares you will get, can already be found on the website and TOS.  They will not give any reason or excuse, just a statement.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.