Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Getting the wrong local channels

Getting the wrong local channels

When we signed up we were getting the correct local channels for our zip code, but now we are getting local channels for a different zip code.  How can I switch back to our correct zip code?

Message 1 of 66
Teacher

dlippin 

No news is good news:-)  Not so sure there are bigger problems in this world than our corporations failure to deliver quality products.  I've now complained so much that I'm not getting any streaming content. Agents that I've chatted with tell me that they have the same problems with wrong locations and outages. One told me he bought a static IP in order to fix his problem. All have said to contact my ISP to correct my IP address. My ISP is AT&T.  I've been ask to fill out a second survey. But, I've spent way too much time in the chat rooms and forums. Actually, more time than chatting than watching.  If Hula can bring me local channels without reinventing the wheel, why can't they? Anyway, I've contributed enough and will have cancelled DTVN. I will continue to be an AT&T customer for Internet, home phone, and cell phone.  I spent a lot of time getting those services right.  I am sure that once AT&T takes over Time Warner/Spectrum that DTVN will be re-branded or made unavailable or priced out in markets where Spectrum is available. I feel bad about all the trouble that everyone is experiencing. I like your attitude toward all this. Making lemonade. I cut the cord a few years back and get TV OTA. It's been fun learning about all the new technology. I remember when we had problems with Netflix.  If you think about it, it's a miracle that the Internet gives us access to the world.  

Message 46 of 66
Teacher

I found that my issue is isolated to the amazon fire TV and all was fine
before the recent update. No issue with the apple tv, website, google play
app or roku on the same internet connection. So how are they blaming this
on the ISP? Clearly there is an issue with amazon tv and/or app. At least
in my case. We had two accounts with this issue, one at our home and one at
my husbands business both in the same zip code and both rely on comcast
internet. We cancelled the business account and are using youtube tv there
without a problem.
Message 47 of 66
Highlighted
Teacher

• News Video in Watch: We will soon have a dedicated section on Facebook Watch in the US where people can view live coverage, daily news briefings and weekly deep dives that are exclusive to Watch.

Facebook replacing trending news forum with free live news. CNN one as is Fox News. Sometimes there are al la carte choices.

Message 48 of 66

I live in Washington State, we are supposed to have locals for our zip code but we suddenly got Washington DC then San Francisco now we have Dallas Texas. Six months in and days and days with chat nothing has improved. TV's are wrong, phones are correct, all located at same location 90% of time.

Message 49 of 66
Contributor

My service was getting all the correct channels for my zip code, on all my devices (Apple TV, Roku stick, web browser) -- until I added a couple of premium standalone channels to my package. Now I appear to be getting locals for somewhere in California with 4 ABC channels and no CBS aside from CBS sports. I WANT MY LOCALS BACK.

Message 50 of 66
Teacher

I wound up in Portland in a zip code that didn't have local channel access. After various and lengthy chats with well-meaning reps(for the most part), I cancelled service and requested adjustment to billing. They got that right and gave me a refund for last month. I don't know if they will ever fix this problem or even invest any more time to fix it. They just took over time warner/spectrum. Bundling TV, phone and Internet. DTVN would be excess baggage in this market. Well, I'm still able to get many channels OTA and not "spend" data to watch commercial TV. Limited to 150 G per month. Being retired, I've learned to live within a tight budget. I would much rather spend data on Google search, video games, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Showtime streaming. I have free Google Voice VOIP.  Using special offers and senior discounts, I have; OTA TV, local landline, VOIP, 3G cell phone,Internet with WiFi(Chromecast and Amazon Fire), Amazon Prime, Netflix, Showtime, all for $47 a month.  Took a while to figure it all out but everyone needs a hobby.  Tip of my hat to all the other "cord cutters" out there. Kudo's to AT&T for providing me with affordable internet access, landline and cell phone. Thanks for this forum as well.   

Message 51 of 66
Contributor

I I had local sacramento stations

lost them when firectvtv did software upgrade

Message 52 of 66
Teacher

I dropped directv now and pick up you tube tv and got my local channels....$40.00 a month with the basic
Message 53 of 66
Contributor

I have Roku’s  and an update came thru today for Directvnow and all my local channels switched from the correct channels to Tampa channels. I was keeping ATT wireless because of the discount for tv but I’ve spent so

much time trying to get a decent response to my issue to no avail so I’ll probably dump the whole deal, switch phones to Verizon and tv to YouTube. Lots of choices. Customer service is very important. 

Message 54 of 66
Tutor

Did anyone ever get resolution to this problem? I'm in the Dallas area and suddenly we get Knoxville, TN locals. What??! Anyway, after several LENGTHY chats, "escalations", "don't worry, we'll fix it"s....still we watch the Knoxville weather and local news (which is sometimes quite entertaining). It's been over 2 weeks now and I'm getting tired of it. The novelty is over. I want my "regular" local stuff back. We've restarted, reset, deleted, reinstalled, signed in, out and upside down. Twirled around two times and touched our toes. Still nothing. Just wondering if it'll ever get fixed....

Message 55 of 66
ACE - Expert

Let's go thru this again. What device are you using? Do you get those locals on your mobile device (phone)?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 56 of 66
Tutor

I'm using fire stick, I do get the local channels on my mobile devices, just not on the firestick. I have followed every link the "experts and aces" have put on here as well as having hours and hours of transcripts talking to more "experts" and managers of said experts on chat as well as the phone (a manager call me). I have all but given up. However, since all of the chat people over the past few weeks have assured me I should not worry because the problem will be solved in 9-12 days (?), I suppose I'll just open the app one day and-viola! It'll be solved. So no need for you to have to go thru this again. I'm tired of messing with it. I was just wondering if anyone ever had the issue fixed.

Message 57 of 66
ACE - Expert

1000's of subscribers have had issues with locals. Obtaining locals and understanding how they work is the #1 issue with DTVN. Unfortunately, you have the same old story like everyone else with local channel issues. Your cell phone uses GPS to determine your device location and with GPS it knows exactly where you are located. Whereas your streaming device uses your IP address for device location. The exception is with Apple devices. They keep up with cell towers and WifI locations used and store into a database. When you use the device it checks the database for location. My guess is that either your ISP's IP address is not in the local location based on your billing zip code to receive the local or the geolocation services used by DTVN has just miss-identified you as not being in the local area. You can check what some of the geolocation services think you are located by going to https://www.iplocation.net/

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 58 of 66

Mine was resolved, but I think they had to do something behind the scenes. From beginning to end, it took about 3 months for me. It lasted about May - August for me and started with the new app update for the Fire stick. I think I reported it about 3 times, too. I just used alternative apps (like Fox Sports app and NBC, etc apps to work around it. Those will still work for locals if you sign into them with your DirecTV Now account. It was a pain, but worked. Also, it happened over the summer so I wasn’t watching quite as much tv do to being outside more. It will get fixed if you can hold out and keep calling every so often. Hope this helps.
Message 59 of 66
ACE - Expert

Chat not call! There is no phone support.

Message 60 of 66
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support