Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Getting the wrong local channels

Getting the wrong local channels

When we signed up we were getting the correct local channels for our zip code, but now we are getting local channels for a different zip code.  How can I switch back to our correct zip code?

Message 1 of 66

I also am having this issue, I live in Warren, Mi zip 48088 but now I'm getting Chicago local channels!

And don't bother calling ATT or directv now, cause nobody seems to know or how to fix the issue!!!!?????

I'll be looking elsewhere for a provider......

Message 31 of 66

Day 2 and still the same.... 

Message 32 of 66
Teacher

Try going to this website.  Is the Location shown, the location where your locals are coming from? 

https://www.whatismyip.com

It is for me. 

Message 33 of 66
Teacher

After speaking to support, they are blaming the issue on your ISP allocating an IP from a server not close to your physical location.  The only way to possibly get around this is buying a static IP from the ISP.  $10/MONTH, for me. 

Message 34 of 66
Teacher

The ip location is probably not the issue. This issue for me only occurs on
our amazon fire tvs. On the same ip there is no issue on our apple tv, roku
tv, google play app or the web browser.
Message 35 of 66
Teacher

That's obviously not the answer since my ip shows my correct town and I
still have the issue which is isolated to amazon fire tvs (for me). If that
is the solution, then I will just cancel.

Message 36 of 66
Teacher

It does seem to be the issue for me.  I'm getting Durham/Raleigh locals on both Roku and web browser, and I'm 300 miles from there in a different local market. 

Message 37 of 66
Teacher

https://www.directvnow.com/guide

Why does my guide show my local channels in Portland while I live in CA? Last week my local channels were correctly in Los Angeles. 

Message 38 of 66

Because AT&T can't get their crap together and they are using the wrong area codes. Same situation as mine... 

Message 39 of 66
Teacher

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Check your zip code to see if you can p/u local channels with antenna. I use a $16 Amazon indoor antenna with 50 mile range. Can't get ABC, but NBC and CBS plus 40+ channels OTA. Had promo for $10 with HBO for $5 more. If they would keep the cost at $10 without local channels, I'll renew it. Otherwise, bye bye. No sell.

Message 40 of 66
Contributor

my locals were fine until the latest updates I should get houston tx but my IP provider is in Austin Tx. Directv has combinedthe two systems together and dont understand internet providers are not always in your zip code. With satellites that got ur gps location then zip code and it worked fine under that system. tehey need to understand providers my be in another zip code. go back to the billing zip code and it will work fine. My cell phone uses my billing zip code on the same ip provider and it gets the correct locals

Message 41 of 66
Contributor

I am also having the same problem. I live in Philadelphia and since the update have been getting local stations from Pittsburgh. The tech only gives instruction to uninstall and reinstall the app. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Message 42 of 66
Teacher

This is bull.....to the first reply...my channels were find until you did That beta update ...I never had any issues with local channels....I think I will better of with a different companies...I already know I can get my local channels and the correct ones with dish/ sling

Message 43 of 66
Contributor

I am having the same problem but actually I’m embracing it-due to this error I’m getting my local news from central Pennsylvania instead of Philadelphia and makes me feel exponentially safer. The news seems very happy and no murders to report as opposed to the 2 or so a day in Philly. I might want to just move from Philadelphia to Central Pa. LOL.  Anyhow hopefully this gets fixed soon but bigger problems in the world.

Message 44 of 66
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

...great attitude, ...

Perhaps the availability of locals across the nation from a ‘pull down’ would turn the flaw to a wanted feature. After all DTV Now, by providing the wrong locals, is in violation of carriage agreements, and maybe a FCC regulation or two. Lemonade approach. 

Message 45 of 66
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support