Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Getting the wrong local channels

Getting the wrong local channels

When we signed up we were getting the correct local channels for our zip code, but now we are getting local channels for a different zip code.  How can I switch back to our correct zip code?

Message 1 of 66
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Getting the wrong local channels

I recently retried it on my phone app with the WiFi and it had the correct local channels and the Apple TV is on the same WiFi and the local channels are correct. I think the issue is with FireStick. Disappointing because it worked fine before the update. But whenever there’re changes there’s always some hiccups. 

Message 16 of 66
Teacher

Same here. We have a Roku in the same location working just fine. For us
the issue is isolated to the amazon fire tv app.
Message 17 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well there's still issues on different devices, the only method is support.

Here's the official response.

1. Make sure your local channels are still available in your home zip on the new app. Even though you have checked before, please check again and confirm that those channels are still available.
  2. Restart the app and possibly the device.
  3. Uninstall then reinstall the App to ensure you have the latest version and all information is synced.

Done all that and still having problems?  We’re sorry!  Please send us a private message with your account email, zip code (if your geo-location zip-code is different than your billing zip-code, please include both), and which channels you are missing.   We’ll respond as more information is available.

Message 18 of 66
Teacher

The support response is a joke.
Message 19 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

take what you can use and leave the rest, PM the link.

Message 20 of 66
Contributor

When we signed up for DirecTV Now, we received a free Fire Stick as part of the promotion. Considering the majority of the problems are occurring with the Fire Stick, DirecTV Now needs to be focusing their attention on trying to solve this problem and taking care of the customers they sent Fire Sticks to! We have tried several things to fix the problem, however we are still receiving San Francisco channels in Chicago! This is a disappointing joke!

Message 21 of 66
Teacher

Because of this issue We are on a trial for YouTube TV and if the issue is
not fixed in 7 days, we will be canceling directvnow. Unfortunately YouTube
tv is missing a local in our area and we'll lose a few channels (and gain
some) but at least its working!
Message 22 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

so did you PM Customer Care as instructed?

Message 23 of 66

Yes, thanks. They escalated it for resolution. Still waiting for resolution, but I understand this stuff happens with new tech. Hopefully, they’ll figure it out soon.
Message 24 of 66
Contributor

I live in NYC and since the most recent update, I’m  getting channels from a whole other state. Direct TV Now gotta do better because they’re so quick to take payment from my account but not so quick to resolve the issue. Customers should be credited for this inconvenience. 

Message 25 of 66
Teacher

When I called, I asked for a credit and was given a $10 credit and 50% off
the next 2 months. It makes me think that they believe that this issue will
be going on for a while.
Message 26 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I think my toaster should not leave crumbs.

We all sympathize with you, for the first time I know of, you have Customer Care willing to solve your problems directly, by using the private message link above (follow the instructions). Seems darn good service to me (one on one, someone will work on your behalf), we all would like to know your outcome, -doesn't seem many of you have tried this solution?

Edit - Here's the Link again.

Please send us a private message with your account email, zip code (if your geo-location zip-code is different than your billing zip-code, please include both), and which channels you are missing.

Message 27 of 66
Tutor

All suggestions tried and failed. Customer service responded that they are working on it 24/7 and have escalated the local channels issue. Prior to the upgrade, I had the wrong local channels. After, all local channels disappeared. I also asked for a ticket number so as to reference with my next contact. Received a $5 credit for the issue.
Message 28 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

exact same thing here . Live in chicago market and getting channels out of Portland Oregon

Message 29 of 66
Teacher

I too have this problem. I rebooted my router on advice of government due to nationwide malware attack. Could no longer get local channels. Guide shows local channels to be in a zip code that is similar to mine but in another state. Someone or something inverted two numbers making it look as if I'm in OR instead of CA. My billing zip code is correct and although my IP is in another zip code, that zip code shows the same local channels available.  Chat reps blame me for not having the same zip code for billing that I have for IP. One even suggested that the bank needs to correct my zip code on the billing. No one could explain why the guide shows me in OR and the billing shows me in CA.  None of the other online TV services have given me problems and runarounds. I remember when I had Time Warner that we had service or billing problems and they used the problem to up sale their services. AT&T is in the process of taking over Time Warner like they did Direct TV. Those of us that are in markets that have local channels available for both DTVN and Time Warner/Spectrum are getting played. Currently, everyone that wants to broadcast Dodger baseball has to pay Time Warner/Spectrum.  Oddly enough, one day after complaining about not receiving local channels from DTVN, I got a call marketing call from Time Warner/Spectrum. My promo runs out next week. I do have OTA. I will most likely get Sling (owned by Dish TV) again for College Football playoffs. Maybe add Showtime to my Amazon Prime and Netflix accounts. Tons of entertainment for less than $25 month. It's really a waste of time to try and fix DTVN. It's just a funnel to get you back to cable.  

Message 30 of 66
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support